Q&A Forums

GAP GUN :MIXING CHAMBERS 03 & 04 Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 07:20 PM
GAP GUN :MIXING CHAMBERS 03 & 04
LOOKING FOR 03 AND 04 MIXING CHAMBERS. NEW OR USED. WILL ALSO TAKE ANY WORN OUT CHAMBERS. I FIGURE SOMEBODY HAS SOME EXTRA PARTS OUT THERE!
Michael Flander
Posted: Apr 02, 2007 02:34 PM
Do you have part numbers?
Posted: Apr 02, 2007 10:06 PM
04 chamber:part#296850. 05 chamber:part#296851 these are the new graco part#. I am really looking for the older mixing chambers. there is a quality issue with the new graco mixing chambers.
anybody out there with extra gap (round) mixing chambers? HELP!
quentin
Posted: Apr 05, 2007 01:52 PM
You may want to check out the company advertising refurb parts on here. I can't find it right off though. It would be nice if they would add a search function to the site. <hint hint!>
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 09:35 AM
I rebuild the worn chambers along with applying a titanium hardcoat and heat treat process. We have treated nozzles for Graco, Gap and Probler and we have gotten very good at extracting the broken drill bits from chambers with no damage to the chamber.

As for the quality issues, I don't think they have any more flaws in their manufacturing and quality control process than they have had in the past. Its all generally sloppy. When we complete our treatment we are less than .001 variance. When I receive them in (new or used) they varied up to .003.

Also the quality of SS they use has a rockwell C scale hardness that varies, but averages around 15-20. Our treatment puts it at a 60-90 depending on my heat treat process.

In all, it shows that more manufacturers are getting parts from China where the tolerance is not as tight and QC programs do not exist ad the grades of SS vary as much as the tolerance.

We are trying new methods each time, but our bottom line is consistent size and we back the wear issue with a 1 year free replacement warranty. I use a rat tail file and rack it across the side of the chamber to show that it can't be scratched. Not that we have files running through our SPF, but your SPF has no way to score the chamber, and the side seals can't because the hardness on those is 15. I just finished treating my worn side seals to new condition also. I did the typical thing all SPF virgins do, pull the seals out with pliers. Several folks around the US have tried us and are very pleased with the results. We have discovered other issues that have been eliminated from the process such as side seals not wearing out and my personal nozzles don't clog and have to be drilled clean in the middle of the job. I knew the treatment enters the chamber holes, and in theory it should diminish as it goes deeper. It fills in the pores on the steal to provide a smoother surface and that has apparently slow down the clogging problem. I am waiting to see if others treated and in use from California to Pennsylvania react the same.

We have pics on our site of my chamber before/after. Coming soon will be 3 magnified pics showing the poor surface features of a new/worn and treated chamber.
Posted: Apr 11, 2007 08:20 AM
We are starting to receive some GAP chambers for review and analysis. We are looking for a few volunteers to send in a worn chamber that always worked along with a new one that never worked for a comparison study. Your parts will be returned in 10 days and we pay all postage.

We intend to "fix" the problem, or at the very least expose the problem to the public forum. We suspect that the tolerance levels in the manufacturing are all over the charts and creating "batch" problems were some work and some don't, depending on which batch you were delivered.

Too many applicators are wasting time and money on shut downs and looking incompetent to the consumers. I am very curious to see how many other are having the same problems.
Michael Flander
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 02:50 PM
Wasting time and money on shutdowns due to the mixing chambers? I am curious as to what issues people are having...

I take tech support calls on a daily basis and can't remember the last time I heard of a mixing chamber issue due to manufacturing tolerances, and after a quick call to a couple Graco contacts, neither could they. If you receive a part that does not work properly, simply RETURN it for one that does. Also, if you have experienced a problem like this, shoot me a reply. I would like to hear about it.

You stated that the hardcoating process seems to help with the clogging. Have you tried hard coating a flat tip kit(Like a tp100) to see if any improvements can be made there?
Posted: May 03, 2007 08:55 AM
This is Sprayfoam1's better half and I just had to post because I had a bit of a chuckle, or maybe it was more of a cringe at the following:

"I heard of a mixing chamber issue due to manufacturing tolerances, and after a quick call to a couple Graco contacts, neither could they. If you receive a part that does not work properly, simply RETURN it for one that does."

If you knew how many Gap Pro chambers we "simply RETURNED for one that works" I think you would be very suprised. I just sent back our last batch yesterday and it contained 8 mixing chambers. None worked - EVER. Before that we sent back 10. Before that...well you get the idea.

About 3 or 4 months back we were able to find a parts supplier who had an "older model" chamber (pre graco takeover)sitting in his bin. He sent it to us. It's worked flawless for a very long time. However, there are no more "older model" chambers available, anywhere - I've checked. When it was time to switch out chambers we once again experienced the problem. Put the old chamber in - no problem.

We have complained through our suppliers but they tell us Graco doesn't really care - they just say "Well, it's under warranty, just return it." Well that is all fine and dandy, but what shall we tell our clients who are expecting us to show up and apply? We even tried to call Graco directly because we were so frustrated and they just said "You are not really allowed to call us, you need to deal with us through your supplier." What a joke. It's pretty obvious to me that they are trying to crash the product line. It's a real shame - the Gap Pro was a great gun for us. Not to mention I'm pretty tired of getting "bent over" like this. That Gap Pro was only a few years old. It had many more service years left on it. This business is hard enough to survive in - we don't need that kind of help from a company that is supposed to be on our side!

I wonder if they realized how unprofessional they make us in the foam industry look when we arrive of a project only to be plagued with a gun that won't spray, chamber after chamber.

Just several years after upgrading our Gap to a Gap Pro, we have now been forced to upgrade to the Fusion. Nice gun, sprays beautiful, but so did our Gap Pro. They got exactly what they wanted.

I could go on, but I think you'll understand our frustration reagrding the Gap chambers now. Not so easy to just return it for a new one that works. None of them work - ever.

Tammy

ps - btw, we are not the only ones. Several suppliers (including our own)I spoke to while looking for an older chamber told me they were experiencing the same thing with their applicators. One supplier on the West Coast said that one of her applicators buys 20 at a time and sends back 18. At least he's getting two good chambers!!
Michael Flander
Posted: May 03, 2007 04:26 PM
After further investigation because of your response and my apparent lack of knowledge... I discovered that the mix chambers were very recently put on shipping hold. Graco is not releasing mix chambers at this time, and we all know why... Now that I have tripped over my own tongue, lets get on with this...

There are corrective actions being taken as we speak, and I assure you they are working on the problem, they are not trying to trash the line. If they wanted to get rid of the gun, they would. Take the 20/35 for example...

I will have more information on the progress and steps they are taking to remedy this problem by early next week, and I will keep you informed.

With my foot in my mouth...
Mike Flander
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: May 03, 2007 09:16 PM
Why not get a probler P2 gun? As maintenance free as it gets!

George
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: May 03, 2007 09:37 PM
I heard that when the gusmer guys heard that they were being taken over and were losing there jobs, they threw out the spec books so to mess up the graco takeover. So graco just strated making chambers and most of them do not work, I think they are still trying to get the old guys back to show them how to make the chambers.

Luke
Posted: May 04, 2007 03:47 PM
Glad and sorry to hear others gave caught on to the problems. I thought I would have to hide out so I wouldn't be tared and feathered for talking about tolerances being all over with Gap and Graco.

We had another call about a contractor recieving several that did not work. I hear lots of stories, but have yet to hold on in my hands for research.

We are still looking for a volunteer to send us a old chamber that works along with a new one that doesn't. We want to do a comparison and we will also provide you a free hardcoat on your worn chamber for the effort.
Posted: May 05, 2007 07:54 AM
Mike,
What is the contact info for endisys
Thanks
Dave
Michael Flander
Posted: May 07, 2007 09:36 AM
Mike Flander
Technical Sales - Endisys
14329 Northdale Blvd.
Rogers, MN 55374
(O)763-428-5075
(C)763-238-0716
(F)763-428-5078

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.