Q&A Forums

Failing foam hoses. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 24, 2007 03:40 PM
Failing foam hoses.
It's time that we re-thought the issue of failing foam hoses. We just had yet another one this morning. That makes about 8 in the last 4-years.

I am thinking about this phenomenon to try and find a reasonable solution. Observations:

Every time the hose fails, it is a resin hose. Ok, that is a clue. Always resin.

It always happens within 8" of a joint. This is another clue.

It is always because of softening of the hose from overheating. Third clue.

Any other observations, gentlemen?

oG
Michael Flander
Posted: May 24, 2007 04:01 PM
Its not always the resin hose, I have seen many Iso sides go bad also.

Have you switched to the new style welding type set screw connectors yet?(assuming you are spraying Graco hoses)

If you have and are still having this issue, let me know. If you have not, you will get them with your new hose, and can retrofit your other hoses with that connector.

Is it the same section of hose you are having troubles with each time? or is it different sections? How many feet of hose are you running, and is the problem usually towards the end or at the machine?

Also one last thing, are you leaving any unused hose on the hose hanger while you are spraying? This creates "hot spots" in the hose because of the way fluid moves through the hose while hanging. Your hose will last much longer if you take any unused hose off the hanger and at least lay it is on the floor so it horizontal for the most part.

Hope this helps,
Mike Flander
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 24, 2007 06:03 PM
`lo Mike.

The hoses are manufactured in Indy.

They have the new style connectors. 310' of hose.

This was the 150' section.
It has been different sections in the past. ALWAYS the resin hose(s). Always within 8" of the end.

The old T3-H foam machine would waste a hose once every 3-4 years.

Not real convinced on the hanging hose theory, although I thank you for it.

I am thinking more of hose pressures, vacuums etc.. Still looking for a fundamental clue in why the new hoses are failing at a greater rate then the old ones.

oG
Posted: May 25, 2007 06:34 AM
ger..failing on the rack or on the ground..

have had one fail,,resin side..about 8 back from coupler...hmmm...

mine was on the rack...
Michael Flander
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:22 AM
Foamdude.. I would say that about 70% of the ones I have seen are hangin on the rack. If you look in the latest revision of the powerlock hose manual, Graco has added in several warnings about this.

'ger..... I understand your frustrations. Please believe me when I tell you that you are the first one I have heard of where it is always a resin hose. But this brings me to my next point...

If it is always a resin hose failing, the first thing I would do is run fluid through the hose and use a digital thermometer to measure temps from the A to B side. The reason I would do this is that the FTS(Fluid temp sensor) reads only the A side, so if there is a failure somewhere in the sensor system(including wires, connections, etc.) you could be getting a wide variance from the temps in the A to B sides.

There is also some known issues with the 20/35 heater controls that can cause false readings, same with the factory calibrations on the reactor line. Check the working temps with a digital(must be digital, nothing else will react fast enough to temp changes) and if they are not close to what the controls are reading, give me a call and I can walk you through some things to try and fix it.

Oh, one last thing, where is your FTS in relationship to hose length? Is it out at the end, or near the machine?

Thanks,
Mike Flander
(M)763-238-0716
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jun 01, 2007 05:49 PM
How many gallons of material are you putting through the hose before they fail?

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 04, 2007 08:09 AM
Oh....a bunch. A year's worth.

Sorry for the non-technical answer.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.