Q&A Forums

Estimating Production Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 09:33 AM
Estimating Production
I posted some questions in another section but would like to ask directly here what the rule of thumb is for estimating labor?

Do you estimate your labor by man hours per board foot? Do you just estimate by the day?

How many men does it take to do residential installations?

What are the typical labor scales for residential foam installation? $35/mh, $45/mh, to $100/mh?

Feel free to email me with any specifics. I am ready to purchase a rig and get started. Just need some help coming out of the gate.

Here is my original thread:
https://sprayfoammagazine.com/mnps/fullthread.cfm?mnforumid=4&mnboardid=4&threadid=167&changed=167&added=1
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 08:12 AM
i look at sq ft / hour..and i figure about 6 hours of productivity in an 8 hour day...
roofers,,i am told,,i do not roof...look at about 1000/hour foam and coat with an experianced crew...
interiors really needs to be looked at closely..
2000 sq ft shacks,,,non complicated installs we can apply and clean at about 500-600 per hour depending "how the boys are moving that day"..
but the customs are a hole nother monster and you really need to be careful here...slow go many times..consider 24-30' greatroom sides..scaffold work can cut productivity in half...safety first always...
i pay my helpers union labor wage (livable wage,,yes i can do it for $7 and hour but thats what you get,,drunks,crackheads, & undesirables)
i look at $20-25 for starting gun monkeys..(they make you money if they are happy and momma at home is happy)...labor x2 to cover insurance and other costs...
small homes 2000 sq ft or less can be done with a 2 man crew if they are motivated and self starters...larger i like a third man depending on the nuances of the job..
hope this helps
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 09:46 AM
Is it standard to put drop cloth or plastic on the floors? Mask or plastic on window openings or other items?

Do you handle all scraping and cleaning?

Where did you get your training and education? Have you been to the manufacturer's qualification/warranty type classes? Do they teach marketing, building envelope/science?

What's the biggest battle with the FG, Cellulose installers? around here most people try to insulate themselves to save money but a lot of people are doing the thing where they install a sheet over the stud openings and spray full with fg. That can't be good if that stuff gets wet.
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 05:25 PM
Is it standard to put drop cloth or plastic on the floors? Mask or plastic on window openings or other items? not unless they are a finished surface..not much spray here.,,just loose trimmings..
we tarp windows as we go..corner..square up..staple..fold back excess,,staple..shoot..remove..put up in next room..and away we gooooo

Do you handle all scraping and cleaning?
most all times yes,,i have one contractor that will do it if i "am under the gun" schedule wise so that he can get his stuff worked in,,,he knows there isnt a lot of it to do with the closed cell he uses in his shacks..
Where did you get your training and education? ucsc..spfa...school of hard knocks...
Have you been to the manufacturer's qualification/warranty type classes?
Marketing tripe
Do they teach marketing, building envelope/science? couldnt tell ya,,but with some of the wild claims i hear being made about foam,,,i doubt it..i think it is self fullfilling education in some cases,,,if you get my drift..

What's the biggest battle with the FG, Cellulose installers?
I have no battles with them..they feed me jobs..
i feed them jobs..COST is the most frequent issue..and if i cant do it i will supply another products installers contact info..

around here most people try to insulate
themselves to save money
then you probably wont sell them foam because they havent been educated as to why to pay the additional $$$ they know the numbers and freak out with nothing to base the numbers upon..

but a lot of people are doing the thing where they install a sheet over the stud openings and spray full with fg.
better system than batts..no moisture/adhesive introduced into the wall cavity during the application process..slightly higher rvalue than batts...febile attempt to maintain the market share the side to side seamless foam folks are takeing from them..this is why i fill my cavities when shooting open cell and take the waste loss..it has to be that way to compete with the competition...4" aint gonna cut it..

That can't be good if that stuff gets wet.
what open cell product is good if it gets wet?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.