Q&A Forums

dryvit over foam? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
andy buff
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 01:19 PM
dryvit over foam?
has anyony sprayed foam to the exterier of block wall and covered it with dryvit?
quentin
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 03:47 PM
I have a study done using 2lb up in Canada on doing just that and the results they gave in the study were great. Toss me an email and I can send it to you.
Josh Lowman
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 10:43 AM
How would you get it flat enough. They use foam board now that is 1" or more thick. Would be a great market most commercial is using eifs on their exteriors.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 05:04 AM
you would get if flat enough by spraying it correctly...
with closed cell foam you should be able to lay this on an exterior wall +/- 1/4" which should be ok,,,remember there typically is a 1"-1 1/2" wythe channel which gives you a "little fudge",,

reality: the efs/stone mason peeps will throw a fit,,,they are used to a machined flat surface,,and round here a few of the local newbees have "thrown" some lousey foam and it is hurting foam locally...1 bad application and 20 jobbers hear about it...lawncare,,repeat after me,,lawncare...
same goes with slab on grade,,,the bums are makeing it difficult,,they bid for an hourly wage,,to get some work,,and then screw it up royally...and suddenly everyones foam system sux,,
advice: learn to spray sidewalls to within 1/4" profile before you take on "profile sensitve" work...
keep the trigger pulled..
dude
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 09:23 AM
There is a company that has a patent on applying stucco over foam on the exterior of a building. MasterbondSPinc. also doing business as spray foam stucco. They have been featured in spray foam magazine a couple of times. They have developed vaious planers to smooth the foam before the stuco gets applied. If you are interested in learning more, contact Mike Belleau 978.835.2369.

George
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Mar 05, 2008 03:39 PM
We are also a commercial EIFS contractor, and there is not a system around that will give a warranty over spray foam insulation. Dryvit, Parex, Sto, and Synergy all require the use of "beadboard" as a foam substrate. With the terrible quality of EIFS work going on by cut throats in the country, everyone pays real close attention to the warranties. The systems done right are excellent, skip a few steps and they are terrible. There is a system that will allow you to use rigid insulation as a substrate (Parex I/C), but the cost is nearly twice that of a normal EIFS system.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 09, 2008 03:54 PM
I sat in on a roundtable meeting with Mike Belleau two years ago. He has a real good exterior finish system, and they get their price for it too ($10-12 ft²).

oG

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.