Q&A Forums

Air gap Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 07:03 PM
Air gap
I'm am wondering what to tell potential customers about the air gap between the foam and finished wall. Example 3" closed cell in and 2x6 wall cavity. Example 4" of open cell in a 2x6 wall cavity. It is common for people to be worried about mold growing in this area. They want the cavity filled and shaved off or they are worried about the air gap. I need to get better at explaining this to customers. What do I say?
Thanks
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 07:27 PM
Hi Tom,

The air gap should not be of concern. The air gap is part of the interior of the house and the temperature of the air in that space will be the same temp as the rest of the interior of the house. There is no concern for mold, as there will never be condensation conditions inside of the cavity.

Hope this helps,

George
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 07:30 PM
Ooops,

Sorry Mason, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Geo
mason
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 08:21 PM
No problem George.

The foam effectively seperates the outside temperature from the inside temperature eliminating the dew point within the air cavity in mixed and warm climates.

However, the thickness required to effectively seperate inside and outside temperatures to prevent condensation increases in the cold climates. But, that can easily be determined with some hygrothermal calculations or modeling. Also, in cold climates, the open cell foam requires a vapor retarder over the foam.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.