Q&A Forums

dangers of Iso Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 09:51 AM
dangers of Iso
If iam spraying foam with fresh air on should my helpers also be wearing fresh air to, because as far as i know there is no filter out there that will protect you against iso
mason
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 03:06 PM
If your helpers are in the same room, they should wear the same respirator protection. But, if they are in the next room 15 to 20 feet away, they may be able to use the air purifying respirators.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 06:32 PM
an organic vapor cartridge will adequately protect your lungs from iso vapor exposure...

i am a hillbilly foamer...we wear full face with cartridges when on the gun at most times,,,
we wear supplied air when it is hotter then heck,,when in crawl spaces,,,or up in the peaks of closed of attics..you know,,,when the concentration of available "clean air" is comprimised due to our application process...when things get "thick" (you will find yourself "huffing for air in your mask cause there aint any,,,not nice or good)
most of the new construction sidewall work has enough air movement that my crew does not wear gear while cleaning up,,,but they are a room or two behind the sprayer,,,that being said,,,many times,,particularly in basements,,,as we tighten the place up the guys notice things getting "thicker" and will don full face with cartridges while cleaning up....it also helps keep the trimming crap out of the eyes and one of my guys wears his all the times just for this reason (guess what,,,he'd rather spray!!)...
we analyzed our vapor exposure last year and came to the conclusion that our greatest exposure to the lungs was when we were removeing the mask to replace the peel offs,,,so now we keep the 1/2 mask in the bucket,,,1 off the other goes on...we all wear protection of some sort in crawl spaces and attics at all times during the spraying process and until adequate ventilation has been assured following the spray process...
remember the more you tighten these places up the greater the concentration of airborne vapors...
remember...water borne blowing agents increase your suseptability to malady refered to as "painters halo"...so consider your eyes as well...
and,,,for dialoges sake,,,we should also consider the integumentary system (skin for those of your from Loma Linda...)..because this marvelous organ system is also capable of being affected by excessive concentrations...
anyway..this hillbilly foamer tells the boys..."boys if your tastin it you better get your damn mask on,,duh!!!"...and most of the time they do...
hope this helps,,,
'dude :)
mason
Posted: May 01, 2008 02:50 PM
OSHA requires that you conduct an analysis of your foam application to determine your respirator needs. The Center for the Polyurethanes Industry has a Respirator Protection Program that you can download online which can be used as your documentation for respirator selection, medical clearance, fit testing, etc. go to polyurethane.org and download the program. You have to register to get the program but it is free. OSHA has reviewed the program and has said that a company using it would be in compliance.

The program was developed by a leading law firm in the DC area Keller and Heckman who specialize in product stewardship law and hazardous situations. It used thousands of job specific monitoring data on all types of MDI applications from the manufacture or OSB to flexible foam to sprayfoam applications. Good stuff.

I also want to congratulate the last contributor as the 1000th message posted on Ask Mason Knowles forum.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.