Q&A Forums

Coverage of roof coating. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 08:11 PM
Coverage of roof coating.
I am new to the spray foam roofing market, been insulating houses and inside metal buildings for years so I have a quick question. I am buiding a job of recoating a roof that was spray foamed 7 years ago and they simply want it pressure washed and recoated. It is a flat roof with drains and it is 55000 square feet. How much coverage will a 55 gallon barrel of BASF's elastomeric roof coating cover. Also, what price would be reasonable. Thankyou.

GG
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 09:39 PM
Best talk to BASF and get their recommendations.

Acrylink recommends 2-3 gallons for recoats. More if there is foam showing through. What kind of coating is on the roof? I'm guessing acrylic because silicone would not need a recoat at the seven-year mark. If foam is showing through, get moving! It is very difficult to heal 250 mils of erosion with 25-mils of coating.

have fun,

olger
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 09:57 PM
Thanks for the reply olger. One more dumb question, 2 - 3 gallons per how many feet. My distributor said that I needed 2 gallons, but I forgot to ask that. The foam is not showing yet, but the acrylic is pretty thin.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 11:28 PM
When we recoat, we use a weathered acrylic cleaner and powerwasher, let it dry and apply 2 gallons per 100 square feet of coating, or RRIII. If foam is barely showing, we prime it first.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 11:26 PM
Hi Glen. 2-3 gallons per square.

olger
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 06:16 AM
I would recommend letting a roofing company do the roofing. This is EXACTLY what has contributed to the demise of SPF roofing market....non-roofers foaming over anything they can get a gun to. This has left a broad wake of destruction and bad foam roofing. Ever hear anything about foam roofing? Is any of it any good (besides hearing it from the foamers)?

Wake up and dont even mess with the roofing until you have a decade or two experience in all forms of it.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.