Q&A Forums

coating equipment Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 09:16 PM
coating equipment
What do you folks like for single component spray equipment? I've got a couple jobs in the works they make take quite a bit of thermal barrier paint. I will be needing to purchase a sprayer. I'm looking for suggestions of what to (or not to) get. Thanks
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 09:22 PM
Hi Skip

We use a Graco GH 833, which is a gas hydraulic sprayer. It's 56:1 and we use it on silicone, acrylic and even batch mix polyureas.

I am not sure if you are going to need anything that big or not, but you can cover some ground in a hurry with it.

If I remember right, the sprayer was just over $6000.00 or so when I bought it in 2005. It is a very durable sprayer and we have to be over 10,000 gallons sprayed with it and have had no problems yet other than gumming up several lines when we clean it out using cheap mineral spirits from Lowes/Home Depot.

Steve
clint moore
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 11:47 AM
Personally I like the GH733 better because of the interchangeable lowers. But depending on what type of material you are going to spray you may be able to go with a 7900 or a extreme pump set up.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 03:23 PM
Hi Skip

The pump you choose depends on the highest solids content of the material you'll be using. If your only going to use it for the thermal barriers then a mid sized unit will do. Like an airless 30:1 or one of the larger electric "paint" sprayers like the Graco MX 1095. This little beauty will actually pump 65% solids coatings. I bought my in 2000 and have only replaced the packings twice. If your going to do any roof coatings (especially urethanes or silicones 65-80% solids) then you need a stronger airless unit. That's solids by volume not solids by weight. I use the Graco 56:1 for most of my coating work. The GH833 is a high volume unit and the GH 733 works great too. The reason I would suggest the air powered units is because many times you can use the air available at a factory or you can rent a 185 cfm air compressor just about anywhere. My 56:1 cost $3,500.00 three years ago, and the air compressor rental is a tax deduction. Rental is a plus when it comes to maintenance too, there isn't any. Another plus is most rental companies have deliver and pick-up service, so you don't have to haul it around.
One thing I've learned is it pays to buy a unit a little larger than your current needs. That way you won't have to max it out all the time.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.