Q&A Forums

Bass Pro Shop displays Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
richard sucher II
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 09:14 AM
Bass Pro Shop displays
Visited local BPS and was amazed at the amount of foam that is used by set designers to create the various outdoor scenes that are so famous in these stores. Curious about foam systems that are being used and especially interested in what "thermal barrier" material is being offered to Owner/local code official/fire marshall as protection over the foam that is used in these displays.
Sounds like they may be using continuous pressure units to deliver foam. Looks like "thermal barrier" material is intumescent paint of some brand. Clearly this work is not being done by traditional foam contractor but by crew of specialized artists that use these products to create their artwork. Thanks for any input - more curious than anything else.
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 10:25 PM
A little imagination and a good idea of how to paint is all you need. I worked with a guy out of California who built the Bass Pro in our area. He comes down about once a year and you would be amazed at what you can do with some 3lb and paint..

You can either go free hand and build up or build a reverse mold and pop it out. Either way, if you have an imagination and know how to pull the trigger you could probably do as good if not better.

I am going to post a couple of pics from a movie set that I did a couple of weeks ago.
Roger Morrison
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 08:08 AM
The building code does provide restrictions on the use of foam plastics as interior trim. It's in IBC Chapter 8 and IBC Section 2604.
I suspect that the use of SPF as decorative elements in Bass Pro Shops is not enforced by building officials.
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 08:39 PM
..yeppers roger...and maybe that is where the spfa or others need to point out these "inconsistencies" ....
you mention decorative trim...ever look at this stuff??? ever see a msds or tech data sheet on it..??didnt think so,,there a bugger to find.,,maybe cause it is an unrated plastic,,no fire retardant,,class III fire material,,and it burns like crazy,,even with paint on it...next time your in a place where there doin the crown molding with this stuff,,grab an hunk and steal a lighter from your smokein buddies and watch this stuff torch up instantly,,and,,,more importantly,,,support combustion on its own once its burnin,,burn and drip baby,,,(reminds me of a girl i knew in highschool..nuther topic,,or not)
and then there is the cushion i got me booty on,,the carpet pad,,the bed we sleep on...
you gettin what im layin down on here,,???

our class I fire rated,,,icc-es report holdin,,ibc approved plastic insulation material is bein slambasted by others with alterior motives,,and malice afforethought,,,and our industry just keeps kissin azz...thinkin it is better to play in the sandbox,,then to pick up a big fistfull of sand and ram it down their throats..

....and now we have the mdi/personal protection drivel..and the industry takin the same course of action..bend over and kiss-da-booty...
more on this when i get some time cause this is gonna be a fun topic for another thread...
(read this as i got me some thoughts about this as well..rofl,,imagine that)

i stuck my schnoz
over the drum
took a big snort
man im dumb

burma shave
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 09:58 PM
Dude, I think that you are right when you say that foam is targeted by others with alterior motives.

However, Roger, I don't think that Spray Foam rock waterfalls and mountains with a water based cementicious material sprayed on top would necessarily be considered a trim.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.