Q&A Forums

2008 Year In Review Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
mason
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 07:44 AM
2008 Year In Review
In May 2007, I decided to start a consulting service specifically oriented to the SPF industry. This was not without trepidation. No one had ever started a SPF consulting firm before without being affiliated with a supplier or network of contractors. My idea was to have a consulting firm that could provide a completely objective point of view without being influenced by any specific company or group of companies. I thought my 38 years of experience (as a SPF contractor, foam/coating/ equipment manufacturer, technical trade association professional and code/regulatory advocate) could provide contractors, suppliers, building owners, inspection and service companies with a wide variety of consulting services unique in the industry. My wife and I were convinced there was a need for this type of consulting service, but the key question remained; would anyone pay for it?

After 1.5 years under my belt, the answer is a resounding YES!

I have traveled coast to coast in 17 states on specific projects and performed a wide variety of services for an even greater variety of clients. For example, my client list for 2008 includes:
• 4 Chemical Producers
• 8 SPF Manufacturers
• 18 SPF Contractors
• 2 General Contractors
• 4 Homeowners
• 2 Cold Storage Warehousing Firms
• 2 Trade Associations
• 5 Print and Internet Media Companies
• 1 Insurance Agency
• 2 Legal Firms

So what type of work have I performed this year?
• Wrote 20 technical white papers and published 13 articles on SPF in metal buildings, unvented attics, SPF and building codes, thermal/ignition barriers, air infiltration, SPF energy performance, SPF green building characteristics, building code compliance, quality control & assurance, tips on profitability and efficiency for both contractors and suppliers and much more

• Wrote more than a dozen blogs on SPF applications for Honeywell’s SPF commercial website

• Inspected & written report recommendations for 41 SPF roofs, 25 SPF insulation projects, (15 residential)

• Provided analysis of business operations and SPF specific marketing information and advice to close to a dozen SPF suppliers and contractors

• Assisted several SPF suppliers with quality control programs and contractor certification

• Presented training courses on SPF roof inspections to over two hundred Florida building code officials at Miami Dade College and prospective inspectors for the State of Wisconsin.

• Presented SPFA Accreditation Course 101 and 101 BE to more than 100 persons

• Answered more than 1000 inquiries at my forum at sprayfoammagazine.com

• Made dozens of presentations to client groups including architects, builders, building owners, engineers, prospective clients and others on the SPF industry

• Made presentations on the value of SPF applications to close to a thousand participants in online webinars coordinated by BOMA and Building Design and Construction (sponsored by Honeywell, Bay Systems and BASF)

• Helped settle several disputes between contractors, building owners and suppliers without going to court

• Provided expert testimony in court cases, including depositions, mediation hearings and trials

• Participated in 2 hurricane investigations, Hurricane Dolly in South Padre Island, Texas and Hurricane Ike in Houston

• Helped coordinate research for suppliers

• Chaired the ASTM Subcommittee for SPF roofing and the task group for SPF Specification C 1029

• Proposed 3 building code changes (adopted in the final hearings in November, 2008) that will be a part of the 2009 ICC code book

• Helped local suppliers and contractors address key building code issues affecting the SPF industry in Florida

Being out in the field again has been one of the unexpected joys of starting the consulting business. Not only do I get a first hand look at current SPF applications, issues and concerns, but I also increase my already extensive knowledge of processes, techniques and business practices which in turn can be used to help my clients achieve their ultimate potential.

So to my many clients and readers, with your continued support, Mason Knowles Consulting will be providing objective, valuable technical services to the SPF industry for many years to come.

Thanks for the opportunity,

Mason
Roger Morrison
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 02:14 PM
Congratulations, Mason. As you know, I will be following in your mighty foot prints but as more of a collaborator than a competitor.
As I type this, I have about 17 working hours left with NCFI Polyurethanes, a generous employer of 21 years from whom departure will be both sad and exciting.
There are lots of exciting things happening in the SPF industry and I look forward to working with an entirely new perspective.
Happy and Prosperous 2009!
mason
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 02:42 PM
Thanks Roger, I welcome the addition of one more SPF consultant to the industry, especially someone as experienced & knowledgeable as you.

I am looking forward to working together on many projects in the future

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.