Q&A Forums

MOST expensive breakdown Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gordon Howard
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 03:31 PM
MOST expensive breakdown
Post your single most expensive problem you have ever had with equipment.

Only your single most expensive. OR if you have had two really expensive problems post both.

Let us know how much the equipment repair cost.

OR if the porblem caused damage to related equipment or to a job site, how much the repair cost.
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 02:38 PM
Lost my whole rig in a fire! Insurance didn't cover much of it as the policy was not written correctly. Lesson learned, make sure your policy is tight and you are on the same page with your agent, and have a good relationship with your foam supplier, he might just lend you a rig for a month!

Tim
josh degraauw
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 03:19 PM
my motherboard (display) for my h20/35 pro ,800 usd .
i bought 2 spares since the machine is discontinued..

AND i wish the seals/o-rings would get cheaper.i tried the aftermarket ones but its just not the same..

good tip, i have 8 guns (ap) but ido not put them toghether anymore, i leave them in peaces without rings on them.
expereance tought me that side- seals blow earlier when the gun is put together and sat for a while (probably left over solvents in the gun)

jos
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 10:33 PM
I know an installer that left his hose heat on all night. 200' of heated hose plus the whip all coiled up on the rack. He had a shore power rig connected for the duration of the job. Like Tim, his supplier did what he could by selling him the replacement hose at cost. Still was about $4k

Tim, why don't you share the cause of your fire in case anyone is shopping for "a good deal".

George
philip mullins
Posted: Jan 02, 2009 03:54 AM
he was sprayin too cheap so i burned the f@#$er down!
Posted: Jan 02, 2009 03:23 PM
I have been pretty fortunate so far with no major breakdowns, but I shore have had my share of crossovers in the past that foamed up my airlines and whips in the last two to three years.

Spraying 2 pound overhead Wednesday and kept turning up the temperature as I went along so it would cure faster and not make a mess and within about 10-15 seconds, one of my side seals finally gave way and voila!

Foamed whip on my b side and about 2 ft of foamed airline.

Sometimes I amaze myself!

Steve
Grady Littlehale
Posted: Jan 04, 2009 10:52 AM
Not shure if this counts but, How about a 6 mil kidney stone, 30 miles from a hospital in a crawlspace. Shure broke me for a couple days.
SPFer
Posted: Jan 05, 2009 08:31 PM
I can't believe that leaving the hose heat on all night would damage the hose. We run our hose heat all day for up to 12 hours with no problems. I realize that material is moving when we are spraying, but it seems like there must be an electrical short for the hose heat to damage the hose.
Gordon Howard
Posted: Jan 06, 2009 10:08 PM
There is a big difference between a heated hose which is laid out, with material flowing through it...

...compared to a COILED UP hose with stagnant material which is exponentially heating itself.

The heat when COILED UP ALL NIGHT and without material moving through it is trippled.key here is COILED UP, just in case you missed that.

COILED UP + ALL NIGHT = you'll see it and then believe it.

Been there, done that.

gordon
SPFer
Posted: Jan 08, 2009 05:44 PM
Now I see your point Gordon. I did not think about the coiled up part.
SPFer
Posted: Jan 08, 2009 05:45 PM
I might try it out tonight just to test it. Leave the heat on coiled up. Of course, it's so damn cold up here it probably wouldn't make a difference.
quentin
Posted: Jan 09, 2009 08:16 AM
That could be an expensive lesson to try out then!
Owen Whisnant
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 09:44 PM
Let me tell ya that lesson sucked. Now it gives me nightmares every time we work too late, I find myself driving back to the job site on occasion to make sure every thing is cool.
Thanks for the memories Geo.
Lee
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 12:05 PM
Geo,

How come so many of us have issues. You trying to drum up business? Haha!

Tim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.