Q&A Forums

High Rise Buildings Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 09:09 PM
High Rise Buildings
Any suggestion to spraying roofs that are above 10 stories!

I am quoting a job downtown on a 10 story apartment building with a service elevator. I am a little hesistant to be pulling up 150 feet of hose up the side of a glass building and thought about using the service elevator to bring my equipment and product up the the top floor.

How does everyone else tackle this problem? Do they set up the rig on the street and pull up the hose to the top floor? What if there wasn't a service elevator? What would be my options then?
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Jan 02, 2009 02:12 AM
Bring the proportioner to the roof and use transfer pumps for the material.

If anyone has a link, Brazos Urethane did the Superdome like this and they did a helluva job.
philip mullins
Posted: Jan 02, 2009 04:08 AM
dont fall
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Jan 02, 2009 09:50 AM
What kind of a transfer pump setup would you need to go that high or higher? That's a lot of material to push straight up.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Jan 07, 2009 12:22 PM
In the article I read, I believe they said they used 45:1 transfer pumps.
Posted: Jan 08, 2009 06:43 AM
get the dogs out,,,
bulldogs that is
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 02:03 PM
As much as I'd like to tell you how we do it, I could get in big trouble. I will tell you this. We've done many high rise buildings as high as 22 stories. All the equipment stays on the ground!!!
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 07:49 PM
I won't tell anyone!
Frank Bood
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 12:02 AM
I seen one company put a "small" trailer on the roof with a crane and bring barrels up on the elevator. Im not sure how high a crane can go. I would guess they tapped into the buildings power and bid the job high. I would hope they checked with the buildings engineer to make sure the roof could support the load. If it were me i would take the units up and hard wire them in and spray till you need to move them to a sprayed area. Most large buildings have spare services on lower and upper levels. Good luck let us know what you end up doing.
Robert Buchmeier
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 10:07 PM
10 storys is not all that high. Have rig that is big enough to pump that high and pull the hose up and start spraying,
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 10:19 PM
We actually did this job in January. Didn't really have much of a choice but to pull the hose up and spray.

We wrapped the Manifold up with a cloth towel and taped up and pulled the hose up to the top. We were right on the Mississippi River for two days with 15-20 MPH winds swirling and a 120 ft. of hose bouncing up against the side of a glass window building. Built a wind screen on top and voila.

Other than worrying whether my insurance company was going to cover broken windows, the job went pretty smoothly.

Steve
Robert Buchmeier
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 09:58 PM
you should tie different lengths of rope to the hose and all should be pulled up and tied off. I did a 16 story in panama city florida right on the gulf with no parapets or anything to protect from wind. The wind is always a steady 15mph with gusts.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 08:57 AM
Sorry guys - the previous post from us here was from someone else. (who won't be posting any more).
Seaking is right on with using ropes. We tie them off just below each hose connection to support all the weight, plus we tie it to the building every few floors to keep it from swinging in the wind.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 05:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will definately use it on my next high rise.

One question though, How would you tie to the building every few floors if it is totally encapsulated in glass?
Robert Buchmeier
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 07:39 PM
you can tie to the top as well run a couple of lines down to the ground and pul it away from the building and tie to the trailer or some other source on the ground and it will keep it from hitting the building

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.