Q&A Forums

Yields.... Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dean Nash
Posted: Sep 21, 2010 11:16 AM
Yields....
Updating the IME-FoamCalculator for our new improved website (coming soon)& our ongoing training classes-

I humbly ask for APPLICATOR input. Manufacturers are welcomed to comment but we're looking for applicator testimonial. Please take a moment to respond with;

1. Brand
2. Elevation relative to sea level
3. Closed/Open
4. Temp. settings
5. AVG yield

Thanks in advance-
IME
D.J. Larson
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 11:41 AM
I think that this is a great idea. Is there a cost involved? What do I need to do to use this? I am new to the industry and use many different types of foam. Will this be taken into account? What about foam roofing?
mason
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 08:26 AM
All manufacturer's data sheets include the density of the foam. While there would be variations depending on temperature, equipment settings, gun configurations, substrate, applicator technique and skill (variation of thickness), the yield should correspond to the density.

So, to make this effort more valuable, include those factors as well.
Dean Nash
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 08:37 AM
Considering that the majority of the posters here are seasoned veterans, I suspect there is a little redundancy to this request however it has been and remains a goal of mine to create & build awareness of the factors in addition to density that affect yield and how the brands vary respectively. This information is used during our trainings & freely offered during conversations with existing & perspective clients.

More often than not,I've found new applicators completely unaware or ignorant of the differing values in the various brands and a 200-500bft swing between products can either offer, or prevent, an opportunity that they might not have gotten without this knowledge. Even to the pro's, awareness & continued education can create opportunity.
mason
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 09:37 AM
Back in the bad old days, a couple of small foam manufacturers would fudge on their data sheets. Say the foam had a core density of 2.3, they would say it had a spray-in-place density of 2.5.

The foam would get great yield but have lousy dimensional stability.

The greater the yield, the lower the density. Just remember with closed cell foam, density and dimensional stability have a correlation to each other. Formulas can vary significantly in dimensional stability with foams in the 1.5 to 1.8 lb density range, so be sure to pay attention to the humid aging numbers (ASTM D 2126) on the manufacturer's data sheet. You want the lowest number possible

In cold storage applications or in colder climates, I would recommend a slightly higher density than in moderate climates.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.