Q&A Forums

fire-rated foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 10:02 PM
fire-rated foam
mikey,,,
so what is your take on the "fire-rated" foam systems...
you know,, the system that allows exposed foam without a thermal barrier covering/coating...
is this technology something that you expect all the other "players" in the industry to embrace???
what are its positives,,,what are its negatives???
(been to darned quiet in here,,thought id put up a question to provoke dialoge)
dude
Circle-D
Posted: Sep 22, 2010 10:26 PM
Didn't work 'dude. Two days later.......still quiet.
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 06:07 AM
dude...
Sorry for the delay, but I am traveling and on a very intense schedule. I will work on answers for your question as well as circleD's on my laptop during my 6 long hours in the air this morning... and upload later. Thanks for your input!!
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 06:50 AM
Come on Mike,

These damn foamers have no patience! Need to be connected all the time and answer all posts within an hour or so. If you are going to be an active member here, then something has got to give. Don't know how much sleep you get, but cut it in half and you should be able to keep up.

George
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 10:03 PM
now georgous george,,i aint in no hurry,,never said i was,,,lol...
just lookin for a professional opinion about the new fire rated foams,,,you know,,,so i can make informed decisions,,,so i can better understand,,,so i can compare notes,,,so maybe i can be made to think about stuff i didnt think about...
mikey,,,when ever you get caught up man will work for me,,,
steven argus
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 11:18 PM
Maybe Mike's a 2 finger typer like myself. And let's face it, he does quite a bit of typing.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 12:25 PM
foamdude,

Sorry for the delay. I had a rough trip.

As for your question, I am not sure if you mean foam that is rated (tested) for use without a prescriptive “Ignition Barrier”??? If so, I feel certain the industry will embrace these foams, but not without some further debate. But, I don’t see too much to argue with. I feel the new test is a good combination of the original intent of “ignition” barriers PLUS taking flash-over potential into consideration as well.

If you DID mean “Thermal Barrier” in your question, I am not aware of any foam that has truly proven to be able to pass the room corner tests. I do realize there have been attempts to use “modified” versions of these tests to try to prove some point, but, none have managed to pass the “complete” test as it was meant to be performed. An example is a foam tested on “just walls” on one test, and on “just ceilings” on another. That only proves that you can safely use the foam only if you only apply it to “just the walls” or “just the ceilings”. The problem with that is that once you apply to one or the other, one can never apply ANYTHING to the other surfaces except non combustible materials similar to gypsum, since that is the configuration of the original room tests. I personally feel these tests will be challenged mightily in the end because the THERMAL BARRIER requirement uses the room corner tests to “CHALLENGE” the foam in a very severe way. When you use only walls, or only ceilings, you reduce the severity tremendously because you no longer have the interaction of heat generated in TWO phases, first by the walls contributing to the original flame source (crib or burner) and making the flames hitting the ceiling much greater, and second, the contribution of the ceiling when those “AMPLIFIED” flame levels hit the ceiling in the corner. It is a MEAN combination. Test them separately… not so tough.

This is my take. I am sure the debate will roll along for some time to come, but I am sure “life and safety” must prevail and call for the intent of the rules to be upheld.

As for my “take” on a foam that some day DOES legitimately pass a full blown room corner test? I am not sure. I would say that I would have to support it because it satisfied all requirements, and played by the rules. My only reservation, shared by many, is still the “flash over” potential of SPF. That being said, since I, and many others, support coatings that pass these tests, I would, in all fairness, support foams that can pass them as well. With this particular subject, I expect debates to continue for some time as well, once foams begin to truly pass these tests. (By the way, I personally think that will happen before too long.)

Mike Kiser (still not sure about “flamedude”)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.