Q&A Forums

Which Foam? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 06:01 PM
Which Foam?
I have my foam equipment ready, now I just need some foam. I am having a hard time sorting through all of the information. I have talked to many different people all claiming what they spray is the best. I know some of you are suppliers and I have probally talked to some of you. Anyway this is where I'm at. either way I will probally spray both open cell or closed cell. At first I was excited about the water blown biobased products, but it seems like #1) They are no cheaper than Petroleum Based Prouducts, in fact seem to run a touch higher even though guys are trying to market it as being cheaper. #2) Needs constant mixing, i.e. more equipment, hassle, etc. #3)Seems to have a touch lower R-value than 245 blown.
Also I am now leading towards closed cell 245 blown foam. From what I have found it seems to be very close in cost for equivilant R value, less cleanup, better coverage(which I'm not sure how is possible, because a drum set is about 1000 lbs so if you getting more bdft than another guy, your ending up with different densities so there both not 2lb foams or what ever. Also I think my local inspector will require me to cover open cell with plastic for a vapor barrier. I know that there are problems with the 245 blown products. Anyway I'm unsure of what to go with, doesn't seem to be any local suppliers. I would appreicate hearing about what foams you guys use, and why, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks

Dave
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 08:20 PM
Hi Dave,

All 1/2lb open cell foams need to be mixed, not just the bio-based ones.

George
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 11:08 PM
Probably the biggest piece of advice I can provide to anyone is to find a company you can work with. I have sprayed many different brands of foam, all ranging from about a $1.75 to $2.00 a pound. I thought they all sprayed well but I quite spraying on companies foam due to there sales rep was a complete jerk and wouldn't hardly talk to me due to the fact that I did not attend there school. At 7500 ft in elevation I have gotten anywhere from 4500 bf to 6000 bf out of a set. Although in the winter I think I only get about 3500 bf.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 10:44 AM
There are many good foams out there. As a contractor, education is helpful in selecting the proper material for the project.

We like a 1.6 pound rigid that we have been using. Yields about 5730-6000 ft² per set. We also like Sealite half-pound. Doesn't need mixed. There is a place for 1.2-pound water blown foam as well. The yield needs to be at least 7300 ft² per set to justify the cost per R.

Have fun,

gcw

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.