Q&A Forums

Trailer Heater Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Yvan Richard
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 11:31 PM
Trailer Heater
I want to heat my trailer while on the road and at the job. Are there any heaters that can run off diesel, that I can use?
I am located in Canada and we can get -40 celcius for weeks at a time.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Aug 21, 2010 08:21 AM
YESSS, please email me for details.
Yvan Richard
Posted: Aug 21, 2010 12:26 PM
My trailer is 16X8. I want to run the heater off my generators fuel tank and battery.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
jeff henderson
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 12:08 AM
http://greendieselretrofit.com/ExternalMediaFolder/WEbastoTruckTrifold.pdf

or move south maybe?
Yvan Richard
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 09:22 PM
Thanks...moving South would be nice...but I heard the ice fishing sucks!!
Tom Chojnowski
Posted: Aug 25, 2010 07:23 PM
http://espar.com/html/products/technology_air.html,
John Shockney
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 12:01 PM
Part of my HVAC experience was working on high-end diesel motor homes.

They use the Webasco coolant heaters to provide block heat to the engine as well as heating the living space. This system would work well with your diesel generator keeping it warm for easy starts and you could use the waste heat from the generator to heat the trailer when it is running.

Piping for this is very easy and you can use pex pipe also you can put in a heated mat under the drums or take a loop of pex around the drums to preheat them.

If you need any help laying this system out send me an email airpro@gotsky.com

Hope this helps

Thanks

Airpro
Blair Marsden
Posted: Dec 12, 2010 07:56 PM
Did you get that heater for your rig?...I heard from Ontario Foam that the Espar D2 is $950 and they can supply. ...apparently some guy runs it in Timmins and recommends?
quentin
Posted: Dec 13, 2010 09:16 AM
We just fire up the compressor or generator when on the way to the job and that heats the trailer very well in even the coldest weather so far here in Ohio. Since it is all mounted in the trailer and the exaust run out the top of the trailer, there is plenty of heat generated and you just close off all the vents.
Terrance Harris
Posted: Dec 13, 2010 01:28 PM
Quentin. No fresh air for your generator intake?
quentin
Posted: Dec 13, 2010 05:52 PM
Nope, never needed it since there is enough that gets in through the vents I can't close and seal fully like for the fan on the compressor. So far I have run up to 2 hours on the road that way and no problems beyond finding out about an exaust leak requiring we air out the trailer for a couple of minutes before jumping in to it. I found the leak though and when I get my welder I loaned out back, it will be solved too. Just a crack in a weld from vibration so not even a big leak.
Yvan Richard
Posted: Dec 13, 2010 10:04 PM
I have my genset in an isolated room non heated. This is so I can have a fresh air intake. My compressor is in a heated area and it does throw off some nice heat. Have you ever had any troubles with running your genset down the highway?
quentin
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 07:07 AM
Never had any problems running mine while going down the road. Just get weird looks at lights and etc from the extra noise. You can also create a mount for a couple of the ceramic heaters to run and warm the trailer if it is seperate from the genset. Why spend hundreds when you can take a few minutes with a drill, some wood and etc to create something to hold inexpensive ones from Sam's? I have a nice one that cost $70 and has a thermostat on it we also use when needed. A pair of those would be 3000w of heating and should do the job in most conditions if you needed the extra heat.

Just drop $10 in 2x4s and make a small fram to keep them from falling while going down the road and you are set. Add a bungee or two and roll. No need to make things harder and more expensive than you have to in these times.
Terrance Harris
Posted: Dec 15, 2010 02:29 AM
Just a word of caution about running a generator and heaters while running down the road. If you have flammables (ie guncleaner or solvents) that could spill if an accident occured you could burn your rig up. Also, I don't think DOT is going to be happy with you if you aren't compliant with their regulations, should you be stopped. Possible heavy fine?
Daniel X
Posted: Dec 20, 2010 08:50 PM
Born to Spray, where the hell are you that it is -40* for weeks on end?

No wonder everyone thinks Canada is such a frigid hell hole...

You probably shouldn't even be spraying, I can't imagine it's cheap to warm your substrate up in those temps.
Yvan Richard
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 09:02 PM
Yes it is cold here...it has been -30 celcius with the wind for the last few days. But our summer days are pretty good also. However, I have yet to run into a substrate temperature problem. The heat has always been on in the building for a number of days. Most contractors install the furnace as soon as they have electrical hook up. So the substrate is always warmed up at the owner's expense and effort. Not too many spray foam guys up here travel with heaters to warm up the substrate. My trailer heater is great, I bought a Wabasco but it is expensive $4500 with install.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 10:24 PM
I just imagined pulling up next to Quentin with the generator/compressor running - OMG, I hate it when the guys in the shop fire a new one up.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.