Q&A Forums

this looks pretty neat Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 11:37 AM
this looks pretty neat
ran across this while looking for a converter.
http://unique3phase.com/
showed it to a good friend who is an electrician and he was interested enough to try it. he is going to build 1 this weekend. i will let y'all know how it turns out.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 03:49 PM
Not sure what you are trying to convert, but most of our equipment is easily convertible without one of those devices.

Graco sells a $110 "plug" which will convert a 3 phase proportioner to 1 phase and vice versa. I imagine Glas-Craft has the same thing. My proportioner came as 3 phase (shipped on accident) and I rewired it to single phase in a matter of minutes.

I would get something that is factory approved, I have not heard good things about those 3 phase converters and if they malfunction, your high dollar equipment could eat the dust and you won't have a leg to stand on!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 11:43 AM
your right tim, not much good to be said about most 3phase converters on the market. cept a few hi dollar units. the only good ones are home made. and you can never find the right transformer easily.
my shop is solar powered and i can power most tools in it. except a 15 horse air compressor and a big welder. both 3phase. we're gonna try this thing out just for fun. and who knows, next year i may sell you a solar unit for ur rig for less than the cost of a generator! well, i doubt i'll ever be that good,lol.
and with the amps single phase motors pull... a budget minded guy who likes to make his own stuff may find some benefits in this unit. if it test out ok. plus, like i said in my first post, its just neat! thought some one here might enjoy it.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 08:41 PM
I'm sorry, I understood you to want to run your high dollar spray equipment with a single phase source and a 3 phase converter. I certainly can appreciate the ingenuity to use solar power in your shop and run equipment that way! Didn't mean to sound condescending, just didn't want you to ruin any spray equipment.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 01, 2007 02:36 PM
Very cool. But I noticed some evil fiberglass insulation in the video, which might cause serious problems... :).

og
philip mullins
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 08:33 AM
o.k. billy has tested this thing pretty extensively and says it is one of the better converters he has ever seen.might be a while b4 i get a chance to build and install one but i will let y'all know how well it works with my solar units. but for now, billy says he wouldnt hesitate to run anything with this unit that he would be willing to run on a generator to start with.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.