Q&A Forums

Thermal Barrier Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 06, 2009 12:50 PM
Thermal Barrier
Mason,
I am bidding a firehouse that is specing R-19 cc spf. The project manual is simply telling me it must be installed in accordance with IBC 2603 as for thermal barrier requirements. This is a prefab metal structure. It will be lined with panels on the interior in the garage portion of the firehouse. the offices and kitchen areas will be drywalled. So my question pertains specifically to the garage area. since there is an interior metal panel going on the interior does that mean I would not be requireg to provide additional fire protection so long as the panel is a minimum of .016" thick. That is my interpretation but I may be incorrect. We usually install a thermal barrier but I would like to eliminate that if the panel provides adequate protection. this is a public bid therefore as you know bidding is competitive. I am not looking to eliminate the applied thermal barrier if it is still required as defined by IBC 2206 section 2603.
Thanks
Posted: Mar 06, 2009 01:01 PM
Sorry for the typo
I meant IBC 2006 section 2603
mason
Posted: Mar 06, 2009 02:40 PM
The garage area does require a thermal barrier not an igntion barrier.

The metal panels at the thickness you describe
0.016 inches is a code designated ignition barrier but not a thermal barrier. You would need a thicker skin to qualify as a thermal barrier. For example, in cold storage applications you need 0.032 inches thick metal skin to provide an exception to the thermal barrier rule. .
Posted: Mar 06, 2009 02:57 PM
Mason,
Thanks for the quick response. I thought so too. The reference chart that I was looking at must of mistakingly put the metal in the wrong category. I did not understand how a .016 metal panel would prevent the foam from reaching 250f in 15 min.
Thanks again

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.