Q&A Forums

Thermal Barrier Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Apr 01, 2006 11:08 PM
Thermal Barrier
I have a bulider who wants to spray his unfinished basements (energy wall) but doesn't want to spend the extra money to have it rocked Is there anything code approved that can be spray applied?
Posted: Apr 09, 2006 08:23 AM
there are some cementious coatings for foam
"foam safe" i think it is called...
batch mixed and spray or trowel applied if i remember right..

have him excavate a larger hole to provide you access to spray to the exterior of the foundation.

insulation applied to the exterior of the cement performs at 2x its r value due to its ability to reduce the effect of the thermal mass of the cement..
this is why the ECO block people say they got an R50 in a ICF system...lets see r10 outside..8 inch of concrete at r-.08/inch,,,r 10 on the inside equals ~r21 or so...
so they are selling performance value..not real r value...i have had many customers of thiers smile broadly and say " i dont need your foam,,i got an R50 side wall here!!!"then i smile,,show em the r value of common building materials chart...run the number for em..and walk away...(or i spray the trusses/lid)
and the truth shall set you free...

remember,,if it walks like a duck,,,looks like a duck...it probably is a duck...
Posted: Apr 09, 2006 08:37 AM
oh yeah,,
there is thermocon (sp?)
and monocoat...
and others that i cant remember...
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 09, 2006 11:55 AM
K-13.

Also used to be a product called SWEFF. It was simple to apply.

gcw
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 11:52 AM
There is also a product called Contego it is an Intumescent Latex based code approved Thermal barrier. It is easy to apply you can spray it on or roll it. I know some of you will look at this post and say that it's just a ignition barrier like aldo coat 757. However that is not the case this is a true 15 minute code approved thermal barrier.check it out @contegointernational.com
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 19, 2006 07:53 AM
Sounds good to me. I have wanted a latex thermal barrier for years.

gcw
Posted: Apr 19, 2006 05:32 PM
I have sprayed Contego on a handfull of jobs, mostly lids. Great product, I held a torch to it for 2 minutes and got bored. When looking at costs remember it needs to be sprayed in 2 coats.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.