Q&A Forums

texture of foam surface Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Eric Sparks
Posted: Oct 02, 2007 12:18 PM
texture of foam surface
i have sprayed several times with my new rig, on a couple of my own buildings for practice i am getting better but i have noticed in a couple of places that there is area where the foam has real small bb or ball type effect on the surface. what is this and what causes it.
Matt Ganz
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 07:57 PM
Dirty gun could be the culprit.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 08:23 PM
Sparky,

Are you spraying open or closed cell? Could you post a picture? Check out AY-145 Surface texture of spray polyurethane foam @ sprayfoam.org.
<---- check the link

George
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 09:52 PM
Foam speed too fast, or material too hot perhaps, or a gun that is spitting slightly. Unless it is a roof, it shouldn't matter.
Posted: Oct 04, 2007 10:50 PM
sparky,,are you seeing a smooth profile underneath and this "speckleing" over the top..??
does this occur after you have sprayed a bit(meaning volume,,not time)..??
you may be a bit cold...and are not maintaining heat...the smooth profile is the good reactivity and the bb's are it "slowing down" and thus not laying as smooth...this is particularly true if you have any wind wash playing on the substrate..

let your profile dictate what to do with your temp...if you change it one way and it gets worse,,hell,,chalk it up to dislexia and try changing it the other way...

now if you are unable to build on the foam, with it "blowing off" as you spray on it and are seeing a "verge of popcorn" or worse profile you may indeed be to hot,,(you wont see the smooth skin and the bb's on top,,just verge of popcorn across the profile)burn baby burn,,,foamo-inferno

Eric Sparks
Posted: Oct 09, 2007 04:40 PM
thanks for all your input it was infact the temp settings were to cool. thanks again guys

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.