Q&A Forums

stroke vs. square foot method Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tessa Harkness
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 06:27 PM
stroke vs. square foot method
In terms of measuring for pricing, can anyone explain the stroke method vs. the square foot method? Any known benefits of each method would be helpful.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 07:17 PM
How would one estimate based on the stroke method ahead of time? I would think you would need to know the square footage to figure out the material usage and then finally calculate the estimated strokes. I can't figure any way else you could determine the stroke count ahead of time.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 11:31 PM
For crawl spaces, we always spray by the stroke (click). We cap it to give the purchaser some limit. 1000, 1500 etc..
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 11:46 PM
Hmm interesting, why do you use this method rather than specify for example: 3" of closed cell to the underside of the crawl space area of xx' by xx'? What is the benefit to the "click" method? You don't have to be specific in your quote?

I think a customer would be more inclined to accept a bid that specified exactly what was going to be installed. My interpretation gives me the comparison of a painter coming in and saying we will install 6 gallons of paint to the exterior of your house. Not be a painter I have no idea if that will cover the whole house, or half of one wall.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 07:45 PM
The only way to do some jobs accurately is to do them time & material.

This is especially true of cut-up flagstone crawlspaces that are next to impossible to figure.

all the best,

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.