Q&A Forums

Start up help! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 11:48 AM
Start up help!
OK, in my area construction is booming but my area of computers is dead so this is way out of my arena in many ways. I do have a friend/neighbor in construction across the street that could help me in getting started with the business end for advice but this is a new area for him as well.

Ok, so here are the questions....

I am looking to start with a Glascraft A5 or A6 series setup but have no idea if anyone has tried it to see if it is worth the investment. Also what the cost is for the consumer compared to traditional batting and other insulation. I plan to start off using closed cell .5lb but also have no idea of what the differences in the foam weights are.

I do have one advantage in starting in that the local military base is doing a lot of remodeling and work from the BRAC tossing them several new programs and a lot of people. As a disabled veteran I gain additional chances at any contracts there and still have my Secret security clearance. I also have the chance to buy an old U-Haul REAL cheap for the starter vehicle to haul it all but can also look at getting or even creating a small trailer to start off with.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 04:13 AM
I may be able to help you out. I'm not out to sell you any thing. The only thing that i can give you is my story/history on my start up, and how i have done so far. Hit my site, and give me a call when you have some free time.

You will find a link on the left side
<------
Eric Hill
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 11:07 PM
Please do your research!!!!!!! Look in your local area for a turn key set up, if your want to hit the ground running. There are good used units out there, Don't but it brand new if you can avoid it. It will take you forever to pay for new stuff.. I have been in business for 2 years and the money is great, Still paying for my new equipment though. Keep your overhead low, you can keep your customer's cost down and you get more jobs!
quentin
Posted: Nov 13, 2006 01:25 PM
Thanks all! I have talked to a local company about a start up and I have a friend that is looking at going with me on it with his financing it to start. A 16ft trailer setup with everything but the chemicals, 200ft of heated hose, E20 and everything for about $33,000 which isn't bad from what I have been seeing.

The trick is the costs compared to standard batting since I am hoping to push for doing mostly new construction and remodeling of basements and etc. The neighbor does a lot of the remodeling and likes the idea so that is an in. After I might also do some pour in work too.

I may also have an in to get some help on pulling contracts with the local base since they just received $335 million in new construction money from the BRAC and have to get it all done by 2009. The speed boost, my being a disable veteran and also the boost if I use a bio derived foam would help there but that is a hard one to get.

One big question I have to figure out though is the cost to a customer compared to traditional batting and etc. What I have been told is that usually in this area they are just doubling the cost of the components for the cost to the customer and that is where the profit and etc all comes from. Is that average for the industry?
quentin
Posted: Nov 23, 2006 11:30 PM
OK, here is what I can get and I have no idea if this is a decent deal or not but opinions would be great!

20ft Trailer
Graco Reactor E-20
200ft heated hose
10ft heated whip hose
2 Fusion guns
drum pumps
transfer hoses
115ft power cable to do site hook ups
5hp 80 gal compressor
Neptune drum mixer

fresh air equipment to include
pump
mask
100ft air line
50 tear off shield covers

work light
work bench
vice
wrenches
3 spray suits
3 paint socks
3 pr gloves
plastic, staple hammer and tape

delivered to me and two days of training.

Decent deal or not for $33,000?
Posted: Nov 24, 2006 08:25 PM
I am new to the industry. Some here use shore power hook up, but it is not widely recommended or advised. You are not licensed to be getting into people's service panels or covered by insurance if anything happened. I can see someone driving over your power cable and damaging or shorting it out and having a fire or worse. I have found better, safer rigs out there for about the same money. There are TONS of companies selling new and used turn-key rigs.

You also have to consider lights, fans, ladders, staging, trimming tools, heaters, and lots more misc. items to add to the list of stuff needed to start up. Extra respirators for your help. Trailer registration and insurance, contractor insurance.

Tim
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Nov 24, 2006 08:59 PM
A few things to consider. First of all make certain that the size of the cable is more than suffcient. You may have to add an electric heater or ac unit. I have both. These devices use more power than one thinks. The 5hp compressor is on the small side. I have a 13 cfm compressor and it won't run the drum mixer very effectively. The biggest thing that I must warn you about is to ensure that foam is specified in the plans for these facilities. If it is not you will find it very difficult to get the achitects and engineers to change it in the appropriate amount of time, secondly foam is considerably more expensive. Around here R-19 batts installed at about $.80 to $.85 per square foot, foam R-19 $1.65 to $2.25. Then if they do spec foam or you get them to change often times government contracts state that you must have 5 Years experiance.

Oh yeah the 3 pair of gloves will last about a day. If the drum pumps are diaphram pumps and you are in a hot environment you will have to keep the product below 90 degrees or so and if it is cold you should try to keep it up to 70. IF the trailer is not insulated and there is a chance of freezing at night you will need band heaters. You will need an air dryer too. Do your research though. Around here construction is booming and so is the foaming, but it is hard to get contractors to switch subs.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.