Q&A Forums

spray foam on plaster+lathe Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
maurice richter
Posted: Feb 01, 2011 09:06 PM
spray foam on plaster+lathe
My house is 100+ years old in central Indiana. Wood frame with plaster and wood lathe. I've had to patch the plaster at times when the "keys" break loose. (If I need to describe the construction better I can.) If I decide to have the walls and/or ceilings spray foamed (from the outside after pulling off the siding), is there a risk of the foam "pushing" the plaster off?
Thanks!
Maurice
John Cottle
Posted: Feb 02, 2011 06:23 AM
My house was built in 1941, 2 story, 3600 sq ft, plaster and lathe. In 1999 I had SPF installed throughout. Three of the four exterior walls were injected and one wall was sprayed from the outside. I had no problems, other than the foam filling some of the window weight channels.
Of course if you remove the siding, you should not have any pressure pushing on the plaster and lathe anyway.
mason
Posted: Feb 02, 2011 10:33 AM
If you were spraying into a closed cavity, the expansion of the foam could bust the plaster off. But, if you are spraying into an open cavity and the foam can expand freely, it should not be an issue.
maurice richter
Posted: Feb 02, 2011 06:44 PM
Thats a relief! We just did new windows this fall. So the next step is better insulation!

Thanks!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.