Q&A Forums

SPF and hanging curtain rods Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dan White
Posted: Jul 05, 2010 06:53 PM
SPF and hanging curtain rods
This might be a bit off topic but I'll fire away and see. I had the house foamed last summer and am just now getting to hanging curtain rods. The cavity is full of closed cell foam and there is no wall stud in the location I would ideally want to mount the rod brackets. I have heavy rods and curtains and can't use the plastic anchors in drywall. I was all set to get some toggle bolts, which will hold just about anything, but then realized that I'd be jamming them into the foam, and they probably wouldn't work. I know there is another design similar to the toggle that might work (kind of like spider legs that pull back against the drywall), but I wanted to check here first.

Anybody come across this issue?

Thanks.
mason
Posted: Jul 06, 2010 07:56 AM
Yes, toggle bolts won't work with the spray foam since it will not allow the toggles to spread out. The foam itself is strong enough to hold the curtain rods if you can find the right type of fastener. You need something that would spread out slight after insertion and grab the foam (like a barb on a fishing hook)
Dan White
Posted: Jul 07, 2010 08:34 PM
Hmm. I hadn't thought about using the foam itself as an anchor. I guess sheetrock or wood screws wouldn't work?

Thanks.
Robert Jordan
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 11:35 PM
There are drywall anchors that have big threads, made of plastic, that screw into the drywall. The screw from the curtain rod would screw into this anchor. They hold a lot. The foam won't hold anything. You can get these at Home Depot or other hardware stores.
Dan White
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 11:11 PM
Yes, I've used those before. I don't know if they are any better than the plastic anchors that come with the curtain rod kit. I'm just going to hit studs with the screw when I can, and use the plastic anchors when I can't and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.