Q&A Forums

Soy Based Foam Breakdown Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Mar 08, 2010 02:51 PM
Soy Based Foam Breakdown
Mason,

I heard that there is some concern with the Soy Based foams breaking down over time. Somthing about breaking down into some sort of a liquidy, sucrose solution. Have you or anyone else had any issues with this?
mason
Posted: Mar 08, 2010 03:36 PM
That is a new one that I haven't heard before. And I have been consulting on more than 2 dozen foam projects the last 2 years.
SPFer
Posted: Mar 08, 2010 03:46 PM
From what I heard (which is only what I heard), this is an issue which would happen over numerous years. How long have the soy based foams been around and are they tested for longevity over time?
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Mar 08, 2010 06:17 PM
As someone who has used much of the BioBased Spray Foam, I have not seen or heard of it falling apart or degrading years later. This is a new one to me too, and I don't think it holds water at this point based on my experience with BioBased products.

I have used it for over 6 years now and it's still the same as when I sprayed it - except maybe a little bit yellower now!
Michael Fusco
Posted: Mar 08, 2010 07:34 PM
There was a single manufacturer who had a problem on a single jobsite some years ago.

That particular manufacturer, who claimed soy content had to admit there was none on that particular jobsite.

Other than that, there has never been a documented case of a breakdown of any soy based foam.
mason
Posted: Mar 08, 2010 07:59 PM
The first soy based polyurethane foams were developed by the Germans during World War II. Remember they had an extreme shortage of petroleum so a lot of their original formulas were made with soy or castor based resins.

I also had the opportunity to visit soy resin plants in Brazil in the mid 90s while working with Gusmer. So the technology has been around a while. Like any formula the chemist who makes the foam has to use the right combination of resin, catalyst, surfactants and blowing agents to have a foam that has the right reaction profile and good physical properties.
Terry Adams
Posted: Mar 09, 2010 12:17 AM
I sprayed a lot of jobs for a contractor who is from Brazil, were they making soy based foam in Brazil or just the soy resin.
mason
Posted: Mar 09, 2010 09:19 AM
Yes, they were making sprayfoam systems. I got a chance to spray some 2 lb and 3lb foam. I was impressed with the reaction profile, compressive strength, cell structure and surface profile. We were spraying with a Gusmer 25/35 with a GX& gun. Heat around 130. (note this was a HCFC 141 b foam.)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.