Q&A Forums

Sky Lights Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Dec 08, 2008 01:50 PM
Sky Lights
Just got finished re-roofing my own 20,000 sq. ft corrugated metal roof with 50 skylights. At first, I thought about covering them with corrugated metal then foaming, but didn't really want to lose the skylights.

Ended up taking 3 inch aluminum angle, welding a frame together, then screw down over the skylight. Foamed the entire roof then came back and put plexiglass over the skylight brackets to make sort of a double paned skylight (Existing plus new skylight.

I really didn't mind the extra work since I do all of my own electrical, welding, plumbing, etc.. on the shrimp processing plant myself and I own the building, but their has to be an easier way for future references.

Have any of you guys dealt with skylights, not covering them up and making them work on a foam roof? Could you taper the foam on the downslope side so that the water could still run down the pitch?

Any other ideas?

Steve
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Dec 09, 2008 02:45 AM
Im not understanding the problem. :(
Posted: Dec 09, 2008 07:00 AM
Is there an easier way to install a spray foam roof over corrugated metal and still keep the skylight ?

Or, is it easier to eliminate the skylights all together by covering them up with metal?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 09:07 PM
BB:

You went to a lot of effort, and that should work.

Skylights can be notorious leakers. They have two issues: The curb, and the seal where the skylight tucks in under the metal frame. The only 100% leak-free skylight is the one where you foam over it completely.

If the way you assembled these "covers" does not allow to trap inside, it should work fine. Foam a cricket on the high side of the skylight to divert water around the sides of the skylight.

In the future you might consider a Daystar skylight - they are very impressive and effective. Not cheap tho.

have fun,

og
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 09:12 PM
"water to trap inside"

What is the deal with he edit feature on this forum, Doug?

thanks,

og
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 09:13 PM
"the"
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Seams like the best way to slove the skylight issue on Rpanel roofs would be to get Thycurb (or equal) to fabricate a curb to fit over the skylight, remove the existing light and install a ned domed light over it. That would produce more light than they had, would provide a small amount of insulation and would be easy to flash.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.