Q&A Forums

Sea Level Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
john thompson
Posted: Feb 03, 2010 05:53 PM
Sea Level
What effects, if any does spraying below sea level have on the open cell foam?
Posted: Feb 03, 2010 07:02 PM
Below sea level or below the water..

We spray all the time at sea level or a couple feet below with no issues.

Below the water is another issue all together!
Posted: Feb 03, 2010 07:04 PM
Sorry Mason

Didn't realize this was in your section.

Steve
mason
Posted: Feb 04, 2010 08:11 AM
I agree with Bayou Boy, I am not aware of any special considerations for spraying foam below sea level.

However, I would expect the humidity to be higher so make sure the substrate moisture content and ambient humidient humidity are at acceptable levels. (wood 18% or less as measured with a Delmhorst Moisture Probe or equivalent, and humidity no greater than 5% of dewpoint).

That brings me to an important point.

Contractors should keep good daily job records that include measuring substrate moisture levels, dewpoint and humidity at least 3 times daily and recording it. If ever a problem arises, this information can help you in a dispute with your supplier.

Other items you should be recording on your daily job report.
1. Pressure, temperature of your proportioner and spray hoses
2. Lot numbers of material and where it was sprayed
3. Type of spraygun and configuration (size, type of nozzle, mixing chamber, mix module, PCD, etc)
4. Any anomalies observed during application such as color variations, distorted cells, bad spray pattern, etc

Also, take sample of the foam periodically throughout the day to check the physical properties, cell structure, adhesion, color and other properties. It doesn't have to be large just enough to see what is going on.

Remember in a dispute with a client (or a supplier) over a bad foam job, you have to prove that the foam was sprayed correctly in accordance with manufacturer's instructions and specifications (an industry best practices)in order to keep from shouldering all of the costs of repair and replacement.

Daily job reports can provide that documentation
Michael Fusco
Posted: Feb 06, 2010 04:08 PM
Actually, thst's not entirely accurate. The sea level thing I mean...Mason is dead on regarding the rest.

Foam (all foam) is, theoretically, formulated at sea level. In reality it is formulated where your lab is....but I digress.

Pressure (atmospheric) has an effect on the blow and cell formation of foam. That's why guys in Colorado usually see better yield than the guy in Death valley, and it can be noticeable and measurable....so if you are shooting a foam, formulated on a mountaintop, in death valley, you will make good foam, but you may see some challanges in yield numbers. (read density shift)

Rediculous???...check where your manufacture formulates if you suspect such an issue. In reality...Yield issues are 99% ours.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.