Q&A Forums

Pressure imbalance problems Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Brian Mulder
Posted: Jul 04, 2007 11:26 AM
Pressure imbalance problems
I have a Graco E-20 machine and I am getting some pressure problems. At start up the air pumps will start pumping to the reactor and then you can hear the reactor cycle and both dial gauges will go to my set pressure and the digital gauge will say the same pressure. I will be spraying for a hour or more and then get the pressure imbalance code. While spraying and away from the rig you can see the pattern and feel the pressure drop off. Go to the rig and sure enough the pressure imbalance code is reading on the digital gauge. The thing is the dial pressure gauge has equal pressure readings. Of coures the dial will say 50 to 200 lbs since I bled off the pressure at the gun. However when I push the on off button the code goes away and the pressure on the digital gauge will show 1800 to 2000 lbs or more while the dial gauges for both the A and B side are almost at 0.

I take the gun off the hose and with the reactor turned off I open up the A and B side into a garbage can to see if my drum pumps are working and they cycle through with the air pumping sound like they are supposed to. Put the gun back on and turn the machine on and low and behold it works again for a little while and then pressure imbalance codes again. Dial gauges close to 0 lbs and digital gauges reading 1500 to 2000 lbs. This time leave the gun on the hose and turn the machine of at the button a few times put it in park turn it back on and nothing. Turn the machine off at the main power switch and nothing. Turn it back off and back on and it works again.

What the heck is going on? I do not spray full time with this machine but have been spraying steady for the past week and a half. I bought the rig last September and I just had the counter turn its first 100K on Monday.

I am thinking this may be an electronic problem and not a maintiance issue but being somewhat new I may be way wrong. Any input from my long winded typing would be of great help.

Thank you. Brian
Brian Mulder
Posted: Jul 04, 2007 11:52 AM
I am spraying closed cell foam if that matters and my pumps are Husky 1040 air operated diaphragm pumps.

Thanks Brian
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jul 04, 2007 01:52 PM
Have you cleaned your filters? Both in the gun and the strainers between the husky pumps and the e-20.

Geo
Brian Mulder
Posted: Jul 04, 2007 09:10 PM
George

My next step is to clean the filters at the bottom of the E-20 where the material goes into the machine. I have not done this due to the low use of the machine. Do you think they may be clogged? If they are why is it that it works some of the time?
Josh Lowman
Posted: Jul 05, 2007 12:20 PM
I've had some problems like this when spraying 245fa mat. on warm days. Maybe a cavitation problem the 1040's have troubles pumping. Try leavin the B side drum vented some times pressure gets built up in the drum.
clint moore
Posted: Jul 05, 2007 04:51 PM
Use your gauges on the front of the machine,When you get a e-24 code where are the pressure readings at on your A and B sides. For example:if my A side pressure is reading 500 and my B side pressure is reading 2000, I know that my filter on the Y strainer on the A side may be clogged or that my B side filter on my gun is clogged. Just the opposite for high A and low B. If you are not getting a reading on either side check for a cavitation problem with your transfer pumps,the ball valve at the bottom may not be opening and closing properly.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jul 06, 2007 11:07 PM
If you have not used the machine much and it has been sitting, you could have some ISO crystalization causing your problem.

Geo
Greg Pruitt
Posted: Jul 07, 2007 06:02 PM
We recntly had that problem, Went to Demilec twice before we found the problem. contacted Bay systems and they also had recently had the same problem. Turns out there is an oil resevoir in a white container on each side of the machine. I remember this form school, and think I remember them saying just not to let it run out. We now found out after two trips to Dallas and a week of down time,( a few other problems with the hose connectors) that the main problem we have been having on and off for at least three montw, was that oil. That oil somehow absorbs water taht might pas thru the line. After it has absorbed whatever amount it can, it forces the pressure up on that side. which creates an imbalance. I know it sounds like Hocus Pocus, but we changed the oil out, and the machine is running like new again. All my my workers were getting very frustrated. they are now estatic! Hope that helps, Wehen these equipment people sell this stuff, they need to do a follow up seminar. We have learned alot the hard way, and have spent about a $1000.00 per month in parts. We also found out recently that the Fusion gun will work much better if it is greased about 10 times a day. Just started that. We have been told that will help in replacing side seals.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jul 07, 2007 07:16 PM
That oil you refer to is the throat cup lubrication. On the E-20 ISO side there is a closed lubrication setup for the pump. After a period of time the reservoir needs to be emptied cleaned and refilled with new fluid. You should add a little fluid to the RESIN cup each day as part of your routine to prevent the seals drying out.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.