Q&A Forums

parking garage renovation suggestions Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: May 23, 2007 04:21 PM
parking garage renovation suggestions
Hey guys, I have an upcoming project bidding that has me a bit perplexed. I am willing to bet tho that at least one of you has some suggestions as to how to alleviate my problem.

Upper floor of a 34,000 SF per floor parking garage, offices on level above. When building was originally constructed had batt insulation on underside of floor 9 which is ceiling of parking floor level 8 of course. Several years ago, rocket scientist entered picture and tore out all of the insulation that had been installed and ever since, tremendous temperature and humidity problems in the 9th floor offices. Request is to spray CC foam over the entire surface of the upper concrete deck and then paint over for UV protectant. I feel that this is probably a workable solution and am willing to bid accordingly. NOW problem is what material can be used to circumference the outer sides of the building that will allow air to flow thru when wind blows and still have small enough weave to catch foam and paint particles so that we do not have to buy about a zillion paint jobs for autos and buildings downtown San Antonio? Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance! Kenneth
Richard Russell
Posted: May 24, 2007 07:29 AM
Since no one has replied yet, I thought I'd post one thought I had. There is a material called Insul-mesh, from Regal Industries. It is a fairly tight mesh that will stop small particles but otherwise let air pass through. It's principal application is for covering open stud walls on the inside prior to dense-pack blowing of dry cellulose insulation through slits in it. You could consider assembling light frames of 1x3 strapping or something like that over the garage windows and stapling the Insulmesh over it. A strong wind will cause problems with anything tight enough to hold fine bits of insulation and paint, so fastening the framing in place could be problematic. Maybe not so much an issue on the upwind side, since nothing you create will blow out in that direction, and on the downwind side the wind pressure ought to hold the frame and mesh in place, so maybe not so bad. My thoughts. I imagine someone else has addressed a similar problem and will respond.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 24, 2007 09:59 AM
Insulweb will work. There are also some landscape fabrics that will do the job as well. Remember, as foam overspray begins to fill the pores of the fabric it will start acting like a sail and catch the wind. Be prepared to change the fabric a couple times as needed.

Have fun,

oG
Posted: May 24, 2007 05:19 PM
Thanks guys, I did finally find a place to buy the fabric and even at a halfway reasonable price. If anyone has suggestions about this project tho I am all ears!

Kenneth
Robert Holmes
Posted: May 24, 2007 09:22 PM
Burlap is what we use
Posted: May 25, 2007 09:52 AM
Fair enough.......where do you purchase it in large quantity rolls or such? I am going to need in excess of 1500 yards.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 31, 2007 09:47 PM
Am Leonard Inc.

og

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.