Q&A Forums

Metal horse barn Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 03:50 PM
Metal horse barn
I am wanting to spray foam insulate an existing metal horse barn. The roof is already insulated with a sheet filled with batting but the sliding doors at each end and walls are not (except for the tack room). This is a 24' x 36' barn, raised center aisle, 4/12 pitch roof, 12' aisle, metal sliding doors at each end. I will need to fill the walls on 2 sides of each stall (2 stalls total), all of the walls above the stalls (stalls are 8' tongue/groove) up to the roof and the gable ends over each barn door. What is the best product for the DIY installation? If I understand correctly, I will need the slow rise for the areas between the stall walls and the building?? Please direct me to the best directions/videos etc. as I have never attempted anything like this before. Thank you for your help!! :)
mason
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 04:03 PM
Pour-in-place foaming is just like sprayfoaming. It requires training, the proper equipment and the right foam. It may not be worth it for a small job like this.

You would need to make multiple pours because you can't pour foam over rising foam. And you have to let it sit between pours to let the heat dissipate. (could take an hour or more depending on the system)

Your supplier should have some pour in place systems off the shelf that would have around a 20 to 30 second cream time and a 2-3 minute rise time. This means you have only 20 seconds to make a pour. Depending on the pumping capacity of your machine, 15, 25, 35 lbs a minute, you would only be able to install 5 to 12 pounds of foam at a time. Also, the foam will leak out of every crack and cranny of the wall, so be sure to seal it very well before attempting it. Another problem, 2 lb foam can exert up to 2000 lbs per square inch of pressure if not allowed a free rise. This can warp the metal. There are froth systems that can reduce the pressure.

So, with all of that if you are still interested, contact the technical service representative of your foam supplier and ask their assistance.

Low density foam systems are available for cavity fill but, I am concerned that water could get into the wall saturating the foam.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 06:47 PM
Thank you so much for the expedient reply. YIKES!!! Here I thought this would be a rather simple DIY type project. Guess not, huh?!! Back to the drawing board. Now I need to find someone in my area. Any ideas as to how I might proceed? Thanks again!
mason
Posted: Sep 03, 2007 09:37 AM
A reputable foam supplier can assist with references for contractors that do pour-in-place. There are not that many who have the experience. But, if a contractor has been in the business for a few years, and does roofing and insulation projects, they probably have poured a few jobs as well.
Posted: Sep 03, 2007 10:07 AM
Thank you, Mason. I appreciate your help. Hopefully, I can find someone who is adept. If not, I will have to look at other options.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.