Q&A Forums

Lawsuits in Florida Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 04:08 PM
Lawsuits in Florida
Mason,
We are a application company in the Southeast.We have been spraying residential for about 3 years.We started on roofs about 12 years ago.Recently I was talking to a engineer in the State of Florida and he informed me that the state is covered up in lawsuits for using CC foam under the roofline areas in residential houses.He was informing me that due to the CC structure that the foam would not breathe therefore causing the plywood decking to absorb moisture through the outside and causing it to rot(defeats all I ever was taught).He informed me that opencell was the way to go because it would be able to breathe.Wouldn't that absorb moisture causing it to mold? This beats all I have ever heard and makes me wonder is CC the way to go or OC? I have no problem about spraying either but would like your advice.
mason
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 08:11 AM
I am not aware of lawsuits in Florida regarding the use of ccSPF to the underside of attics. Please ask the engineer to provide specific information. I know our industry groups would want to be notified.

This theory has been proposed by a few organizations and competitive insulation industries about ccSPF but to date, I have never seen it.

PS, I personally installed hundreds of ccSPF applicatons in unvented attics or cathedrals ceilings in South Texas with climates very similar to South Florida high humidity very high temperatures. These were more than 30 years ago and to date, I have not seen any roof deck failures from this type of application.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 09:03 AM
Thanks,
I think we all know who is saying this.I have asked the engineer to foward me the information he has backing up his statements.
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 07:38 PM
Foam1,
I think you find this is not the case. It amazes me at the number of times I have heard that,but have never been shown one such example. We like Mason have been installing closed cell for 30+ years and have yet to see one such example. it never seems to amaze me at the number of people who try to muddy up the waters in this industry.
Those who make such claims seem to know the least about building science and its approach. I do not believe there is another industry who is so resistant to change as the building industry.
As Mason suggests their is no substitute for knowledge. As applicators it is our responsibility to have a good backgroung in building science,and to apply that knowledge so that the foam industry can continue to thrive.
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 09:38 PM
it always never ceases to amaze me...
the tripe that you hear,,,and if they say it,,
now its up to you to prove that their statement isnt true...how do you disprove something that has no proven documentation...
lets see: the sheeting will rot,, the plumbing will melt,,the romax coating will disintegrate(or some other far fetched misconception)..the house HAS TO BREATH..your shingles will rot and bake off the roof...your pets will produce off spring with 2 tails due to the toxic fumes and offgassing(they say with a plastic water bottle in hand)...and the beat goes on...and the beat goes on...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.