Q&A Forums

Law of Diminishing Returns - CLosed Cell Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
JohnPeters
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 08:03 AM
Law of Diminishing Returns - CLosed Cell Foam
Mason,

Do you have any studies conducted on the R-30 to R-38 threshold point where the added depth of closed cell over 4.5 - 5.5" is unnecessary?

I have a customer that wants to install 9" of CC and I need ammunition to convince them the 9" is overkill.

I know what your thinking - I should be happy that I am bidding on a job that is calling out 9" of CC. But, I cannot perform this installation knowing that the end user is going to completely benefit from the this excessive amount of foam.

Mr. Honest.
mason
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 08:21 AM
A few years ago, Roger Morrison of NCFI made a presentation at the annual Sprayfoam conference about this subject. I believe you can obtain a copy of the presentation from SPFA. Contact Rick Duncan with SPFA at 800-523-6154 for details.

The paper may also be available online at sprayfoam.org.

Plus, you can perform your own calculations. Remember, sprayfoam will provide close to 100% performance in varying climatic conditions based on research conducted at ATI. Just by doing the math, it can be determined that more than 5 inches of SPF contributes very little to stopping additional heat transfer.
JohnPeters
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 08:29 AM
Perform my own calculations?

Are you referring to RESNET or RESCHECK?

I am very interested in how I can prove this myself...
mason
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 03:25 PM
John,

There are a number of calculators out there. Here is one from ORNL http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/insulation/ins_16.html

This one will not provide the great results from SPF. But, if you use a 20 to 30% reduction in R value for the added benefit of SPF for its air sealing capability, you will get a pretty good

SPFA has a trial roofing calculator that should be available to members soon. I have a beta version of it to help test drive it. It takes not only air infiltration, but thermal bridging and moisture content into its calculations.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.