Q&A Forums

Iso Cleanup Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 09:38 PM
Iso Cleanup
I boil my gun parts in a fry daddy with antifreeze at 375 for about 15 minutes and the parts come out like new. Take all o-rings and plastic off the parts. As for hoses with hard iso in them if anyone knows something that works I would love to know what it is.
Rob
mason
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 07:36 AM
There is no way to clean out set up iso out of your hoses. Sorry, they have to be scrapped. By the way, the antifreeze trick will take off any finish from your metal gun parts making the foam set up on it easier. So, once you start with the antifreeze you have to do it every time.

If you can, it is better to mechanically clean the metal parts with dental picks and wood implements. This keeps the finish on longer.

Of course if you get a massive cross-over the antifreeze method may be the only way to get the parts clean.

Another word on iso in hoses. Be sure to run some material through your lines on a regular basis. Iso can begin setting up in your hoses, pump screens, check valves, etc within a few weeks. If you are going to let the rig sit for a month or longer and cannot run material through it, flush out the lines with a neutral material (some folks use diesel fuel) and then run some DOP or TCP through the rig and hoses and leave it in. The DOP and TCP prevents the iso that is left in the hose from setting up. (It turns it into a jelly like substance that can be flushed out with new material)

But only use this method if you cannot run fresh material through your hoses at a regular intervels. DOP is more expensive than your foam.
Linerman
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 07:07 PM
diesel fuel?? seems like that would actually do some damage to the equipment. I guess if it works, why not.
mason
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 08:19 AM
Ask your supplier what they recommend. The hoses typically are shipped with hydraulic fluid in them. What you use to flush the lines should not react with the foam and should be free of moisture contamination.

We used diesel fuel because it did not react with the foam and it was cheap. But we did not leave it in the lines, but immediately followed it with DOP or TCP. My preference is TCP. DOP has a tendency to make the iso a little waxy whereas the TCP makes the iso more of a jelly like substance.
Posted: Sep 27, 2008 08:23 AM
We just came out with a new product called ISO REMOVE. I soak my parts for 30 minutes, some for 4 hours NO HEAT required. The ISO falls off. We have sent several "Free-Bees" out for field trials and everyone is pleased. I did my test batch in a plastic jar, it melted the jar, but our O rings held up fine. Don't put this on your face shield, it will remove the foam as well as turn the shield white.

I did the boiling thing. Very messy, but makes a neat fire if it boils over. We heat treat parts at 315F, not sure what heating and cooling does to the integrity of the metal parts

The iso remains a solid after it falls off, so the solvent can be strained and used over.
mason
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 03:28 PM
Pat,

the solvent sounds like it works but also sounds like it is probably very hazardous. Make sure that folks know how to handle it, and use the appropriate personal protection, such as gloves and respirators,

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.