Q&A Forums

ICF's Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 06:22 AM
ICF's
bid an icf home...
it has been in progress for a couple of years..
i think i remember bidding about 2 years ago...

i noticed significant uv degradation of the uncovered icf walls..

???? how,, if at all,,should this powdery layer of degradation be addressed before sheeting inside and outside???

i have a spf cc 2.0 outside kneewall that has been uncoated for 10 years,,,kind of a test wall if you will...it has degraded as well,,but it seems the eps/icf is goin faster,,could this be??

would like to be able to respond to the general when he asks me about this powdery layer...you know,,,dazzle em wif your brilliance,,and you know the rest..
Tim Wojnarski
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 09:04 AM
Dude,

Long time lurker, first post. The foam used for ICF's is the same foam that the EIFS industry uses, beadboard. Tiny beads that are glued together at the factory and allowed to cure. Neither the beads or the glue are UV stable and the powdery residue is the glue breaking down from exposure. As to how to deal with it, it depends on how the exterior is going to be finished. If they are mechanically fastening something through the BB, then I wouldn't worry about it. If they are looking to adhere something to the BB, like EIFS or stucco, they may be able to rasp down to "good bead board" and go from there. This is something that would have to be done anyway in order to get a good appearance. And on ICF's, there's typically a LOT of raasping. Hope it helps, BTW, you're not spraying SPF to the bead board, are you?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.