Q&A Forums

orings and emails Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 07:00 AM
orings and emails
this came to me via email,,
thought it would be good dialoge for the group...

Hey foamdude I seem to be going throught orings every day. When I am done spraying i pump sonme grease through the gun but it seems that the orings on the A side are still crystalizing. I am spending a lo of time tearing apart the gun after every use to avoid this problem. Also when I soak my parts in Dynasolve which seems to ruin the orings but I am not sure what to do with the A side orings when I remove them. The A side orings harden up on me. Any suggestions. Also I am getting some build up on both sides of the mixing chamber on the A and b side of the gun, and not sure why.

Thanks
Dave

dave,
good morning..
there has been good dialoge on this topic on the forum,,search,,it works,,read,,it works,,even if it is not what you were lookin for its amazin what you might find...lol
anyway,,
whomever came up with the grease your spray gun system should have the little grease tubes placed in a less than desireable body orifice,,,you pick,,,
this system has been a windfall for the sale of gun parts,,and gun blocks and hosewhips for those of you that cross over...
your spraygun is like your handgun,,your longgun,,your hlvp sprayguns,,your harley,,your old lady,,,you got to treat it good or it will bite you in the booty...
ride it hard,,,put it away wet and you are a fool... you clean things up after you use them,,,
that being said,,,
when it is warm,,like above 70 degrees ambient,,(remember,,below 70 and the viscosity differences come into play,,foam is like paint,,,50 is cold,,,)my lead gun man will grease the gun,,i nag him for it(but hey,,you gotta let the kids learn on their own sometimes,,,tough as it is to watch,,right olger??),,sometimes it comes up ok,,,sometimes,,as you well know,,it comes up with usually the A side seal stickin or leakin ( 2 different manifestations,,,center thingy and springy cheesed and stickin it mists out the tip at no trigger,,,leakin it runs down the gun head onto your hand,,no matter what your doin,,duh...)
i prefer to dismantle my gun at the end of each day,,,better yet,,i prefer to change the chamber every 4 hours of sprayin closed cell foam (read:we dont need no stinkin clearshot,,dont work anyway),,,i tear my gun down,,,wipe the excess off the sideseals,,lift the screens to allow to drain,,,(i leave the orings and screens in place)and i throw em all,,,gun head, ring and air cap too into a solvent soaking can..i use glycol ether for overnite soaks,,,it wont mess with the orings,,,i wrap my gun body in a solvent (dynasolve ok here,,glycol ether works well too)soaked rag and put it in a large baggie,,it will clean with a gentle air blast in the am,,,softens the drift right up...i then air blow all the gun internals,,check to make sure the side seal springy center thingy springys when pushed on like it should,,and reassemble the gun,,,i can do this in about 10 minutes,,,while the fluid is recircin and things are warmin up,,and your helper is pullin hose and checkin winders, tubs and stuff,,,
if i have to tell you to use proper safety gear when handleing any fluids,,well,,go back to lawn care,,,lol,,(nothin personal,,its one of my favorite expressions)
dynasolve will swell orings,,,put one in a jar and watch it after a couple of days,,,
if your o rings are hardening they are most likely being iso stiffened,,and you say you see the chamber gettin gease grumblies (iso thickened grease,,it will harden eventually,,,ever heard the gun start "tickin" when you ignore it and keep sprayin???) i would guess the center thingy springy thingy is goobered up and not springyin like it should and leakin ever so slighty,,and over time it layin on the orings and the chamber,,and probably your hand...
so,,to paraphrase: tear the mutha down,,,treat it like its your bread and butter,,your stilleto,,your mag bull float,,
hope this helps,,,
foamdude

ps: send beer...lol
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 02:15 PM
great advice. what gun do you have?
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 04:25 AM
we use the confusion gun in our rigs,,,
have a couple of d-guns but they are collecting
dust
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 03:50 PM
Foamdude,
how do you recirc your material? I used to recirc with a little recirc block that I got from the Bee guys (for my P2) but it had so many fittings that it was just a pain in the rear to keep breaking down to clean out. I need a better way. Can you lead me there?
Newby
Terrance Harris
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 05:03 PM
Dude, do you want to get rid of those D guns?
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 06:20 AM
small "d" please!!!
email sent,,lol
Terrance Harris
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 05:09 PM
dude, no e-mail received.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.