Q&A Forums

how to measure thickness of foam insulation? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Sergey Purnyn
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:38 AM
how to measure thickness of foam insulation?
I had spray foam insulation done by contractor. He promissed 2" of insulation. How can I messure if it is 2"? It is spray foam insulation over concrete wall in crawl space.
mason
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 12:25 PM
It is very easy to measure the thickness of SPF. Just get a thin probe such as a ice pick, stiff wire, long thin nail, etc. Measure off two inches from its base with some tape and spot check the depth of the foam by sticking the probe until it hits the substrate. Check the visible low areas. If those are within 1/4 inch of the specified thickness its fine.

If there is one spot 1 inch in diameter that is low and the rest is well over, I wouldn't be too concerned but if there is wider area of low foam thickness (such as 6 to 12 inches of low foam), more foam should be installed.

TJ Peters

Posted: Mar 04, 2015 09:02 AM
Another good way to measure is to have your sprayer install measuring pins. They come in all sizes and provide a accurate thickness. They are very cheap and easy to install.

http://sprayfoamsys.com/store/index.php/sfs-foam-measuring-pins-eliminate-guess-work-foam-pins-measure-spray-foam-100-pack.html

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.