Q&A Forums

Horse Stables Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
chad harris
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 09:12 AM
Horse Stables
I have a customer who is wanting to spray closed-cell foam on the ceiling of their horse stables and riding arena, the arena is about 75% open on the sides, and they just want the ceilings done. Is this type of application going to require a fire barrier??
mason
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 09:38 AM
You would have to check with your state and local building codes. This building would be considered an agricultural building. In some states, the foam does not require a thermal or ignition barrier if it is not intended for human occupation.

But, I always like to put a thermal barrier over foam no matter the use of the building. Too often a building that was originally designed for non human occupation gets converted to another use such as workshop or commercial building and the bare foam becomes a severe fire hazard.

Again, check with your local code official.
Dan Beecher
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:31 AM
We run into the same thing on Ag buildings. A lot of times there is no code official in the outlying areas. I have them check with their insurance carrier also. They are insuring it so you will need to do what they want as well (within reason). They may just want an ignition barrier... I would offer both ignition and thermal barrier, put it on them. This day in age CYA!
quentin
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 02:47 PM
We have a clause in the contract stating they must ensure the work meets code for ignition or fire barriers and we let them know what the codes are and offer suggestions. It also states that if code requires a barrier then they are responsible to meet that requirement and we have zero liability for failing to do so.

Mostly it was because I got tired of arguring with code officials since no two in the same stupid county would agree and that was only if I could even reach them when many it would take weeks to try and even contact them.
mason
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 04:55 PM
I would want to caution our readers about having their customers sign a waiver that they are responsible for the thermal or ignition barrier.

I knew of a case in Houston where a contractor and their supplier were sued and the plaintif was awarded a few hundred thousand dollars (in 1970) when a fire destroyed a freezer that had been insulated with bare SPF. The owner signed a waiver that he was responsible for installing the thermal barrier, the court decided that the contractor was responsible and should not have performed the work unless they came back and verified the thermal barrier had been installed.

Another case involved an owner signing a document that he was responsible for ignoring warnings to put a thermal barrier on. Again the court decided the contractor and supplier were at fault for installing the foam when they knew the foam was not going to be protected.

As Quentin and others have suggested CYA is important, but a waiver doesn't always work.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 10:05 AM
An agricultural building may not require a thermal or ignition barrier, but any human occupied building (especially by the public) must have protection.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.