Q&A Forums

costal house on pilings Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:35 PM
costal house on pilings
Getting bids back for (costal house on pilings)
like to keep it apples for apples
Been telling all S F contractors to figure 2 lb cc 5 ins.
But some contractors’ suggest icynene oc 8 ins.
what’s the difference in products and when it comes to my problem with moister and wind.

thanx snider
quentin
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 02:43 PM
They sell open cell and it will soak up the water unless it is covered and sealed somehow. Also not as durable I would think. Add in the additional structural value and tell them apple to oranges. If they want the cheaper open cell then spray it too then. Icy dealers tend to be full of crap and charge a ton from everything I hear and have seen here as well as in other areas.
mason
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 05:02 PM
FEMA specifically lists closed cell sprayfoam as one of the few insulations approved for insulating the underside of houses on pilings in severe flood prone areas. During a hurricane or a flood, waters can easily reach 10 to 15 ft, which would soak other types of insulation such as fiberglass, cellulose and open cell foam.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 05:54 PM
I didn't want to answer this earlier because Mason is the expert. However, living in a flood prone area and having a house that flooded from both Hurricane Rita on 2005 and Hurricane Ike in 2008, don't use open cell.

There are a few contractors in this area that are spraying open cell on the undercarriage of a house and every time I run into them, I give them a hard time for advising their customers wrong.

On a different note though, does code require you to spray 5 inches of closed cell on your undercarriage. The reason that I am asking is that I have blast freezer that get to 30 below 0 in less than an hour from turning them on that I only have sprayed at 4 inches of closed cell all the way around.

Seems like a lot of closed cell foam on the undercarriage of your house. Is that what is required?

Just trying to save you money.

Steve
Paul Covert
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:17 PM
That's what I was thinking...5 inches of closed cell?? Is the house on the coast of the Arctic Ocean?
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 10:34 AM
No it's not the arctic but it felt like it the last few months lol.The house is in Mass.with water under it and open to the great marsh.
4 or 5 ins of cc, I realy don't. Want the job done right this time.If I can save some money also,then yea for me.
Thanx for all your help its appreciated

snider
quentin
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 11:22 AM
If your neighbors have the same problems, then get with them and I can drop my prices some. The more we spray the cheaper it can get usually.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.