Q&A Forums

Help me pull off a Bank Job Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Rob Granger
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 08:11 PM
Help me pull off a Bank Job
Hey guys, I have a bank building to bid. The achitect who holds more degrees than me and is an expert at designing building failed to spec an air barrier at the ceiling. Instead he spec'd a drop ceiling and now the bank has major ice hanging off the roof and a $ 2,000 heat bill a month. The heating unit is in the attic so I am bidding the roof deck with 1/2 pound and an ignition barrier. Couple of questions, do you all just spray the truss at the soffit area with foam or install a block of sorts first. How would you attack this job. We thought about spraying the lower(at edge of building) part by removing one or two ceiling tiles and spraying off a scaffold. What kind of upcharge would you add for all the extra labor if any?
quentin
Posted: Nov 15, 2009 05:38 PM
We grab some of the blue thin insulation board to block soffits and use that. Easy to cut and works well. Also you may not need the ignition barrier if it is LaPolla or Bay Systems I think just passed the tests. You will need to get with the local code officials to get approval first.
John Shockney
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 02:10 PM
I would price the job high due to the liability of damages from overspray and running hoses through a working bank.
And when can you get into the bank to work, after hours? nights? weekends?

we stuff unfaced fiberglass into the sofit holes and spray oc over that quick and ez.
Posted: Feb 04, 2010 08:58 AM
I like the idea of using the 1/2 # over the 2# from Lapolla or Bay. There is a place for both 1/2 & 2 # foam. If you spray the 2# to the underneath of the roof deck the building will need scheduled roof inspections. In our area unless someone sees shingle damage the roof is not inspected. When they get a leak without the foam in place they deal with the roof, with 1/2# when it leaks they will deal with the roof. With 2# schedule roof inspections!!!!
When we spray with 1/2# we "roll the foam" over purils & rafters. We can do 5-6" with 1/2# in one pass reducing labor cost. With 2# you will have at least 2 passes-twice the labor. Are you just interested in how much money you can make or controlling your customers bottom line so you can do other facilities for the bank.
Rob Granger
Posted: Feb 06, 2010 10:10 PM
Thanks guys for your input. I was thinking we would spray 1/2lb for several reasons - to keep the customers price down and get the job done quickly. I am just not surehow much extra to include becasue we have to work in a finished building!!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.