Q&A Forums

Gymnasium and spray foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
bwolken
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 04:24 PM
Gymnasium and spray foam
Has anyone out there used spray foam on ceilings or walls of a gym or athletic facility? I have a prospect that wants the ceiling of a gym foamed then coated but they're concerned about the foam standing up to balls, students, etc. Any references, or case studies would help.
Thanks in advance,
Bob
Linerman
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 08:33 PM
Use a good polyurea and you'll be fine. Another foamer on polyurea.com is bidding on a job to foam then coat a prison including the cells.
quentin
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 01:10 AM
Yup, that is me on that job. Proposal goes to them tomorrow. BIG job but could be very good for us getting some state work and larger contracts like we need. Housing market sucks right now so have to look at other ideas. I even talked to the power company today. They are replacing a ton of polse since they rot right at the soil line and they are having problems with the normal preservatives like creosode and the EPA so may have a polyurea replace it. Just go to their yard, spray a bunch of poles to about a foot over the soil line they will bury it to and leave.

Time to get real creative for ideas with the economy all! Pass them around if you find any good ones and if they produce any results for you.
richard sucher II
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 08:55 AM
Both the gym project and jail application are interior applications of foam, right? The issue here would be abuse resistant "thermal barrier". Does the polyurea provide a thermal barrier over the foam?
How high are the ceilings/walls above the flooring? "Ure-K" thermal barrier would give you fifteen minute rating as well as additional R factor and sound proofing (nice feature in gym).
bwolken
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 12:02 PM
The ceiling is 22', yes it is interior. I think the foam and thermal barrier will be sound enough to hold up to the balls, etc. But, I need to find an example or two that is similar somewhere out there for them to check out. They would like to use foam but they don't want to have to repair or replace after a couple of years.
richard sucher II
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 08:35 PM
i must be missing something here. closed cell foam certainly will withstand the abuse and will never fall down. open celled foam could be more problematic due to density. i do not think that it will come down but will not be as abuse resistant.
My concern is the fact that this foam application would need a thermal barrier over it and i do not think that polyurea meets that criteria.
you could do foam and ure-k cellulose. do not think that k-13 will come down if installed properly but will show indentations.
not sure which closed cell system you spray but you could see what thermal barrier materials that manufacturer has tested. they may have spray applied liquid thermal barrier material that would be tougher.
we do not have any applications of foam in these interior spaces. we do have k-13 applications in gyms 14-22 feet high. most for sound control with added benefit of R factor.
this cannot be foam only job. has to have a thermal barrier. do not think that any polyurea meets thermal barrier criteria. may be wrong.
bwolken
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:37 PM
Yes I agree, The closed cell and and thermal barrier are certainly tough enough. I sprayed a 4 x8 sheet as a sample and we beat it with basketballs and footballs from 4 ft away. It passed their presentation stageof this abuse. Now I need some real life customers with a similar install that can be contacted by them as a reference. Does anyone out there have any.
richard sucher II
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 08:08 AM
for this test panel, what did you use as "thermal barrier".

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.