Q&A Forums

Coatings Question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 12:47 PM
Coatings Question
Hi Mason

Alpha One Spray Foam & Coatings is primarily a spray foam roofing company that does some interior insulation.

I have been using WDG's Silicone Coatings for some time and even though it is a little more expensive, I usually get around 4000 sq. ft at 25-30 mils on a 50 gallon drum.

The past month or so, I went with GE's Silicone coating which is really cheap and have noticed my sq. footage that I can cover at 25-30 mils is around 1/2 to 2/3 rds of the coverage that I get with WDG's Silicone Coatings.

WDG has always mentioned that the higher percentage of solids give you a better coverage rate and it was always more expensive.

What should I look for when purchasing a silicone coating for roofing application? How does the amount of solids in this coating help my coverage rate.

Steve
mason
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 07:22 PM
Yes, You use the solids content by volume to determine the yield. A 100 % solids material will yield 16 dry mils per gallon per 100 sq ft. 50% solids will yield 8 dry mils. Just multiply 16 times the solids content. Be sure to add your waste factor 10 to 20% for overspray and waste, plus 5 to 30 % for the surface profile texture of the foam. The rougher the surface the more coating it will take.
Linerman
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 08:29 PM
If your coating is only 50% solids that means the other 50% evaporates through the curing stages.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.