Q&A Forums

Gensets? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 17, 2006 08:47 PM
Gensets?
Best Gensets and typical price?
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 12:36 AM
i run a deere...40k 3phase right at ~10K...
many types out there,,,quiet is good...
local service is good...easily obtainable parts and service is good...
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 07:07 AM
I just stumbled across a new site this morning with free shipping and what appear to be good prices. http://www.generatorsales.com/ Make sure that you get a diesel. There are far too many companies out there selling low end trailers with gas powered generators and compressors.

George
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 02:19 PM
george..i had those folks "sit on " $10.5K for about 45 days promising me my gen was "being built"...did get my $$ back...but it set me back about 2 months and alot of grey hairs.....

look at www.gopower.com ask for juan carlos....they had the deere to me in less than a week...
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 10:51 PM
Why do you use 3phase? Are you working mostly commercial? Roofing? Do you work much residential wall foam? Seems like most guys suggest going single phase so that you can tap into resi shore power when you can. Also sometimes easier to get single phase shore power on commercial. Heavy industrial is a different story....

I understand that the 3phase is easier on equipment and tends to make everything last longer. is there that much of a difference???
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 11:05 PM
Wow, I like that JD set at 11,500. Got a local quote on a Keto with JD for about 15k and they have to order and looking at 4-8 weeks. Catepiller was over a year out on 40kw.

I'm going to rig myself in the trailer. Where can I get some side vents for the trailer and what about an exhause for the genset? We have a local garage that rigs trucks and trailers for a lot of commercial type vehicles and they could probably rig the exhaust as well as a remote tank. I just need to find the wall vents. I suppose they can come from a mechanical HVAC distributor.
Lane Hogstad
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 11:18 PM
Call interstate diesel in Altoona Iowa talk to Dutch. They had 10 30kw katolites. A guy bought all of them but one I got it. He may be able to put you in touch with the guy he sold them to. I got mine for $8000.00
llh
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 19, 2006 07:10 PM
There are three options with the exhaust. Roof, wall, floor.

We tried the floor, didn't like the way exhaust would billow up towards you - smelly. We tried the roof. It works well. Wall would be acceptable as well.. Be sure to add vibration isolators between the floor of the trailer and the genset. Louvers can be purchased at Grainger. I would have 4 ft² minumum air discharge and 6 or more intake.

Make sure the floor is tough and decent looking. Polyurea can help.

Have fun!

gcw
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 19, 2006 10:26 PM
It may be tough getting polyurea on the floor before I have the equipment up and running. Any way to accomplish that since the equipment won't be running until it is rigged in the trailer? Do you suggest spraying in the trailer after the equipment is installed.

One of the mfgrs suggests putting diamond plated sheets in the floor where the drums are stored. Easier to slide drums if needed. Don't know about clean up if one somehow spills.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 06:49 AM
my diesel is exhausted thru the floor...no vents near pipe,,so we have had no odor problems...out the top makes good sense too...
line the floor with diamond plate,,,nice surface to beat the hell out of...does add a bit of weight though.
you could epoxy or use any of the other industrial coatings to "paint" the floor after you have the equipment set....
three phase gear runs at lower amp draw...but it does not limit me to 3 phase gear as i pulled 2 110 volt legs off the line to run the 110 V stuff..
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 06:55 AM
newbee,,,buy a turnkey for your first rig...get it and learn to spray..learn to market..
after a while you will be able to better make good decisions as to just what your equip needs are..and where to install them to be the most efficient..
you could easily burn a couple weeks rigging a rig..if everything is sitting there waiting to go in,,and,,realisticly a month could eaily be burned with all the running around for the "little stuff".....
when buying mechanicals...remember...SERVICE AFTER THE SALE..it is tough to get help from a vendor a 1000 miles from you...
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 07:39 PM
Well, I've gone back and forth on the issue but after having talked to several foamers and suppliers, I'm convinced I can do it in house and can go with a 28' gooseneck w/ genset for almost same price as a turn key 18'.

I have an electrician and a few other guys who are very mechanical. One used to do a lot of plumbing. With all of my equipment in place, it should take about 2-3 days to rig. I can have all of my equipment here in about 2-3 weeks. Suppliers are telling me that rigs are 6-8 weeks out.

Bottom line, i can outfit my rig with all of the best and have the size I want within my budget as long as I do it in house. Turnkey with all of the options is over my budget.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 08:11 AM
it took me 1/2 a day to install the vent louver and the associated cowling for the gen...
it took a 1/2 day to set the gen in place and secure..(not wired or plumbed)
it took a 1/2 day to set the compressor/tank/dryer and secure(not wired or plumbed)
it took 2 days to wire and plumb...
it took 1 day to foam the sides and subfloor..another day to reapply the sheeting...
do your electrician and plumber work for free..consider the costs...
so look at your time estimate again,,,i think you may be surprised...

there are lots of good used rigs out there lately (guys who saw the "easy money" and didnt think about the hard work) and it may be more cost effective to buy pre-rigged and get spraying to generate income...

jmho

enjoy
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 09:44 AM
Good points.
Trey Gibson
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 11:41 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself Foamdude. Something always comes up when building a piece of machinery this complicated, where everything must work in conjunction or nothing works at all, and ends up costing more than you thought(time and money) Newby, you could by a good lightly used rig and spend your time lining up your jobs instead of slaving away putting your rig togather. It took us a lot longer than I thought and we even has somebody to do our electrical.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 02:42 PM
You guys are dead on but I still can't convince myself to turnkey. Used is a good idea too but I don't want anyone elses problem.

My situation is that I already have a few foam jobs sold for Aug and Sept and can't get a turnkey rig until then. I can have one rigged myself by the first week of Aug and do some practicing on my buildings rather than practicing on my customer's buildings.

My main business has a good backlog at this point and foam is some secondary at this point to me. Once we gain some knowledge than we will dedicate a division of our biz to the foam where it may stand on it's own. I won't be shutting down my bread and butter... Yet.

I plan on building the rig on rain days (if we get them in late July) so my men can keep their hrs up. One of my guys is an electrical/plumbing helper. I have a guy that rents from me that is a master electrician. His house is 20 yards from my shop and he works cheap for me. He can plumb, do electric and carpentry work so that's not a problem for me. I can have the layout ready for them and turn them loose with the equipment. I'll be spending my time with the business operations and have a guy who will probably be out selling soon.

Most all of my equipment is going to be coming from local sources. They make the trailers here, the genset will becoming from a customer of mine who is located across the street from me, the air equipment is coming from family who are in that line of biz and are just a few miles from my shop. Only thing coming from out of town is the material handling equip and material. The service end of that means a lot to me.

But if I were shut down or not operating now, I'd probably go turnkey or even used. My situation just works out that in house feels right. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself in the tail bevore it's over though,
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 06:26 PM
It will take more time than you realize. It is also kind of fun doing it. On the floor I used 2-coats of Sherwin Williams 650 Epoxy. Next time I will use Line-X polyurea. The floor needs to be tough to withstand the (dumb) steel drums.

Have fun,

gcw
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jul 01, 2006 09:56 AM
Olger, I've also been told to use stainless steel flat sheets or the diamond plate sheets. One fellow said diamond plates to help scoot the dumb drums the other said flat stainless for ease of clean up.

I'd love to spray the interior of my rig but I'll have to have the equipment operational outside the rig and then install everything.

I love the Line-x liners. Have one in my new truck. Is it possible to purchase sets of Line-X product without being a dealer? I have a supplier that carries different ureas for bedliners but I imagine they don't carry Line-x.

Newby
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 04, 2006 04:53 PM
Unless you have two rigs, it is best to pay someone to spray Line-X on the floor for you. You'll be glad you have it.

Aluminum is somewhat costly.

gcw
Huey Reed
Posted: Jul 08, 2006 01:14 AM
Rigged-out trailer. Contact Frank Bien at Polymer Processing in Apopka (Orlando), Fl. The Heated Raider plural sprayer (very nice), 150' Hose, P2, a 15K generator form Northern, twin tank IR compressor, and assorted tools, trailer and equipment is less than $30K. Trailers available from Tow Corp. in Georgia, they're on Ebay. We've used the Heated Raider plural machine and love it!

Be careful buying generators, the difference between surge kw and constant kw should only by about 1500kw.
Posted: Jul 11, 2006 08:20 PM
a polyurea floor would be great...(wish i would have sprayed my own,,,next time..)
get it done if you can...
i lined the area where we have barrels with diamond plate...works well,,,adds more weight than polyurea,,,aint as pertty...(the plywood in the rest of the trailer is "takeing a hit" and shows the daily use in a rough environment...(got some old polyU that im gonna spin up and shoot on it if its still good in my spare time)
Posted: Jul 11, 2006 09:11 PM
..just be sure your are putting your money into a rig that will have the output to meet your demands,,,and the mechanicals to support the application devices (effectively)...

i started to ride my 100cc yamaha to sturgis the other day with my brothers in bikes...

got 45 miles from home and dadburned thing done pooped out on me...the guys sent email pix of all the fun they were having...

should i have bought a 125?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 11:33 AM
You can borrow my kTM 300 mxc, perhaps..

gcw
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 06:39 PM
So you all would recommend polyurea over metal?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.