Q&A Forums

Generators and compressors Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Shane Hoehn
Posted: Apr 27, 2006 08:06 PM
Generators and compressors
I am in the beginning stage of putting a rig together. I am having a problem with my compressor. I have a 20 kW Isuzu generator and a 7.5 HP Ingersoll Rand 24 cfm compressor. The generator is going to the box and the compressor is run thru the box off the generator. I have a 70 amp breaker on the compressor. With the generator running, when I start the compressor it will not get up to speed before it shuts down. What could be the problem?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 11:30 PM
Are both pieces new? (gen & comp)

The compressor needs a LOT of amps to start the motor. I wonder if the 20k is big enough to support the Baldor motor startup draw? Especially if the foam heaters are on.

I have the same compressor and a 40kw genset. It still puts a big surge on the generator.

Talk to the compressor people first, and then the generator people. Some compressor companies do not recommend their units for generators (IR is one). Champion works well with generated power.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

gcw
Shane Hoehn
Posted: Apr 30, 2006 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. That seems to be the general consensus thus far. I had an IR tech out to look at it the other day. He said that everything looked OK. But he didn't mention anything about the surge amps necessary, but I did call the generator manufacturer and he said that it seems like the generator can't handle the start-up surge of the compressor. I am going to trade in the compressor for a smaller model first thing tomorrow. And yes they are both out of the box new. Thanks for the help!
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: May 02, 2006 07:01 PM
If you are still having trouble after the new compressor or anyother electrical problems let me know and I may be able to help.
Shane Hoehn
Posted: May 02, 2006 09:36 PM
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I am supposed to receive the new compressor tomorrow so I'll know tomorrow night.
Shane Hoehn
Posted: May 04, 2006 10:25 PM
I got the new compressor and everything is working. Thanks for the help. We should be up and running tomorrow. I hope so anyway, we have 2 jobs to start tomorrow.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.