Q&A Forums

For the new guys Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Brian Ahrens
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 06:26 PM
For the new guys
Here's some food for thought. It took me five banks before I got my business loan after a year of research. My decision to go with Demilec was the best one that I could have ever made! I purchased a turnkey rig from them and after two years no problems only general maintence. DO NOT GO WITH CHEAP EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!! Spraying foam has to many problems without having to worry about your rig self destructing 150feet away. Some things that I learned the hard way. Make sure your truck will handle your rig, I now drive a Dodge 3500 Dually with the Cummins and it is awsome. Image is very important, it will get you lots of business just because you look professional and people like to see that when you park in front of their soon to be million dollar house. Never let resin barrel run dry, I still pull my hair out over this one. Cover up everything open cell is more forgiving and its simple to pull up plastic compared to wirebrushing an entire floor. Mud sucks!!! This business is hard work, this fall I found myself in a 10foot long tunnel under a sun room with almost no room to breath, let alone spray. But its all good when you get that perfect stud cavity. My business has taken off by leaps and bounds and that presents its own nightmares. All in all its a very rewarding business when you take quality workmanship with the best product it can only bring success. Thats all for now back to the blueprints Augh.
Jeffery Dieu
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 07:34 PM
Quality work from everyone, and everyone benefits. Half a__ work and we all feel the affects!
quentin
Posted: Dec 31, 2006 12:49 PM
I was lucky enough this week to get to see and help a bit on a foam job and the more I look, the more I like the idea of starting up. My research is almost complete and I am working on the financing end now with a business plan and etc for the back. I should be ready in 2-3 months for the jump since I do computer contracting and that is when my next contract ends.

Yes, I could just stop that contract and jump in but it will help a bit with some start-up money to start and also I am the type that once I commit myself I follow through no matter what. Not like that is a bad thing in business though since it is an important trait.

My family is almost convinced too which is good and the local UCSC rep and I have been talking including that there is no one in this area for him to try and pass jobs to.

I thought about a used rig and etc but I have decided I am getting all new equipment and most likely will build the trailer myself to save on start-up costs some and to make it with a layout that I like. I also have a handyman/contractor across the street that has been looking at it some with me since it is more his field than mine and he is ready to jump in and help me get started at this point if he can.

The most amazing part I have seen is how readily everyone seems willing to help each other out. Yes everyone is in competition but at the same time everyone seems to understand that there is plenty of room for more people and that by helping each other out we can grow the entire industry faster and all benefit in the end.
Posted: Jan 09, 2007 07:41 PM
You say never let your resin run dry. What is the problem you have when this happens?

jp
Posted: Jan 09, 2007 09:56 PM
You don't want either A or B to run dry. Doing so allows for the possibility of air getting into one of the hoses. When that air reaches the gun you run the risk of having the side with the fluid in it "crossover" into the other side. If fluid is following the air you create the opportunity for the components to react and foam to develop in the gun or lines. Big down time problems unless you have backup equipment ready to go. Save yourself the time and pump any remaining fluid into the the new set with recirculation hoses or just leave a little fluid in the drums. It is a waste of fluid, but in my book $50 of lost material is better than losing a whole day of work or more!

Tim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.