Q&A Forums

flame on Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 03:33 PM
flame on
just finished a 12000 sq ft starter castle....
closed cell urethane in the sides, boxes, bands and truss heels....
county code official would not allow exposed foam in the mechanical room box sills as the ceiling was not going to be rocked...so we didnt spray this area...
as i am leaving i see the trim guy's working on some foam molded crown molding that was in all the bedrooms...so i grabbed a scrap...time for my cornfield laboratory flame study...
i took the old bic lighter and put a flame to the primed crown molding that so gracefully adorns the interior of this shack...
talk about FLAME ON!!!! lit real easy,,,and maintained a flame after the flame source (the bic lighter) was removed...burned like crazy,,,made for some hellin black smoke...burned till almost completely comsumed...just a glob of plastic grawdue (hows that for a discriptive term)
so,,,class 1 rated spray foam....cover it or dont apply it..AND,,,damn that crown molding sure is perty....
plastics burn...unrated plastics really burn...rated plastics need an active flame source..a large majority of our homes materials and possessions are unrated plastics....
my pappy said life wouldnt always be fair....
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 25, 2006 07:43 AM
Yup,

It's not fair. For some reason everyone thinks that foam insulation shouldn't burn. Well if the house burns, EVERTHING BURNS! What about all of the couches, carpets, cabinets, laminate flooring, vinyl flooring, wire, appliances, etc, etc. If you are not out of the house by the time the fire reaches the foam insulation, then the smoke and fire from the foam is the least of your worries. Couldn't you have sprayed the foam with an ignition barrier in the mechanical room box sills?

George
Posted: Jun 25, 2006 07:58 AM
an ignition barrier or intumescent paint is not a thermal barrier,,so as the code mandates, it can not be used in occupied space...
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 06:31 PM
Good lab "experiment" FD :). It's true.

Contego makes a thermal barrier paint. Expensive but works like crazy.

all the best,

gcw

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.