Q&A Forums

E-30, switching between 2.0 and .5 foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Paul Kruse
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 07:39 PM
E-30, switching between 2.0 and .5 foam
Hello, I am currenlty spraying 2.0 foam and have had requests to spray .5 foam. My supplier offers both types but is unsure what I should start my chemical temps at so could you give me a ballpark number? Outside temps here are 80 degress. What does .5 foam react like when the temps are to cold or hot? Can you give me some advice? Thanks
quentin
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 11:39 PM
Since it can be different for different foams, you will need to get with the foam supplier. A good company will give you a reccomendation for a starting point and you fine tune it from there.

Beyond that, too cold will have a slow reaction and too hot can cause it to pull back from the studs and other bad things. I tend to start at the lower end of the heat range and bump it up until I get the reaction where I want it speed wise and then keep an eye on it. If it starts to get too fast I dial back as the day warms up and then increase it again if I am spraying late and need to get it back up to speed.
mason
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:06 AM
Good advice Quentin. As mentioned earlier, each foam responds slightly different. Be sure to talf to your supplier's technical representative when trying out a new foam. Sometimes this is their regional sales guy but many times it is not. You want to talk to their most experienced foam guy. The one they send out when there is trouble or to do onsite training.

Are you planning to use the same rig for both foams or have a separate rig for each? If using the same rig make sure that your 2 lb foam is compatible with the .5 lb foam (no reaction when following one foam with the other). Again, your foam supplier's technical rep should be able to help with this.
Linerman
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 08:27 PM
When in doubt, flush 'em out.
quentin
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 01:15 AM
Thanks Mason! Also I know that CPi has a change over page on their site that will help you with the approximate number of pump strokes when doing a change for when the foam switches over. Also they have a pretty handy calculator on their site for costs of foam for doing a job. Plug in your numnbers like yields, costs per set and etc.

Link to their article on switching materials to your left.
Paul Kruse
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:16 PM
I do plan on using the same rig. I really want some general guidelines to start the temps at but I understand the rep should supply me with this information. Thanks
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:45 PM
How can I say this without sounding like a jerk... Let's see... HMMM... I guess that there is no way to do it. If your supplier can't even tell you what temp to spray at, you should find a new supplier!

George
Michael Fusco
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 03:04 PM
Simple answer......A's are the same (uless you use Burton) B side should be seperated by a stroke or two of Plasticizer....unless both are water blown...then just push one with the other.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.