Q&A Forums

Drum Warmers/Temp Maintenance Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Eddie Gilmartin
Posted: Mar 18, 2013 11:03 AM
Drum Warmers/Temp Maintenance
A while back there was a post from an applicator who we had worked with to try to out fit a rig with thin film radiant heat. We were unable to get enough heat in so decided to take it one step further. We have been providing drum warmers for years but it would only maintain the temp the drum started at. After learning more about the spray foam industry from 4 applicators for four of the manufacturers we developed new drum warmers. They are insulated jackets with thin film radiant heat. This is not a skinny wire that has to get very hot to heat where there is no wire. It has 80%+ coverage in heat providing even heat distribution that will not damage the chemical. We got the chemical in the drum to 32f then applied the insulated jacket. We set the control temp to 85F and within 24 hours the chemical temp was at 85f and stayed there for as long as we left it outside. It will never go above 85F as long as the outside temp is no higher than 85F. We can set the controller temp to whatever is desired before shipping. Some applicators wanted 70F, 75F and 80F. This is done before the jacket leaves our warehouse in Massachusetts. Our products are 100% made in the USA and are tried and tested. We have been manufacturing thin film radiant heat since 1983 when we invented it. If anyone can share any other concerns that we should address before going to distribution we would love to hear from you. We want to get a product to market that does exactly what you need and will allow you to get a lot more yield from the drum and save a lot of time when applying the product without having to use a band heater or run it through a heated hose. We will be bringing the jackets to the manufacturers for approval. It is my understanding that they do not recommend running it through the heated hose or using a band heater. You can contact me at e.gilmartin@calorique.com with any further suggestions that we should address in this product. I appreciate your help and hope this product is something that saves you money due to the yield you receive as well as allowing you to get to work as soon as you hit the job site.
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 10:04 PM
I tried your product and it seems to do what you said and then some. I put a set outside and installed your jackets. The chemical started at 60 (warehouse temp). After setting outside for 36 +- hrs with morning temps into the 20's and daily highs into the 40's the drums were maintaining 75 to 85.
paul rogers
Posted: Apr 07, 2013 05:53 PM
please give me more info on your product including price.
mark moyer
Posted: Apr 11, 2013 11:56 AM
band heaters...$169-$259 depending where you find them...
clint moore
Posted: Apr 11, 2013 06:45 PM
Check with the Spray foam Goddess, I think she has the best pricing on band heaters & blankets.
Cory Boehs
Posted: Apr 12, 2013 11:15 AM
foamdude, just curious about band heaters..... What's your reasoning behind band heaters versus this radiant system?
mark moyer
Posted: Apr 13, 2013 05:50 PM
cory..i have no experience with this thin foil blanket system..i was not offered a trial..lol

i use the band heaters cause if it aint broke don't fix it..it has been part of our rigs system for 15 years..
we strap our drums down with ratchet straps to keep em from walkin down the road,,will the blankets hold up,,thin film or other to the ratchet straps and the repetitive shear the strap???
i would prefer a controllable rheostat..remember delta t is delta t and we need much more heat for the oc product..particularly in the am warmup...we're big boys and can handle watching our drums,,yes we know we can froth closed cell resin..friggin morrons..go back to lawn care,,please...(ok i know,,i just buy another blanket set for higher temp,,yeah that's the ticket.. :) )
we prefer the metal band heaters over the rubber band heaters,,,like foam bids,,cheap is what cheap is...and gets you cheap in the end...they last a bit longer...the clamp on the metal is much better than the springy thingy on the rubber band heater,,but if you have time to play you can come up with something else,,i don't..

you can stack band heaters on cold drums on cold mornings in cold rig and really heat things up...

versatility...110 or 220 pending on what your sparky is up front...

oh yeah..pretty soon that blanket is heatin a more empty than full thang...

and in my rigs,,unless its armored the boys will destroy it in a week..loading scaffolds,,,ladders,,racks,,that all get strapped to the drums to get bounced down the road..

still thinking...
shoulda sent me a trial for over the winter
coulda be the greatest thing since kyjelly

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.