Q&A Forums

DIY questions Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
jimmy jimmy
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:07 PM
DIY questions
I recently purchased an older house in southern California where during the winter months the temps drop into the high 20’s and during the summer months the temps will rise as high as 115.
The house now has no insulation in the walls and almost none in the attic.

-Is foam a good product for these extremes?
-I would like to put foam into the interior walls as well (for sound damping). Is foam as good as Cellulose insulation for sound damping?
-Can a do it yourselfer get this done?
-If so what and where can I buy the products to get this done?

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Jimmy
Posted: Feb 02, 2007 12:10 AM
1).Is foam a good product for these extremes?
absolutely

I would like to put foam into the interior walls as well (for sound damping). Is foam as good as Cellulose insulation for sound damping?
yes
Can a do it yourselfer get this done?
(anything/all things are possible)
hire a pro
If so what and where can I buy the products to get this done?"
see #3
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Feb 02, 2007 05:40 PM
Foam is the best insulation you can use, but the only problem is that the sheetrock has to be removed to install it. There are cheap quality do it yourself kits out there but the foam product is nowhere comparable to a professionals and you will not save very much. The equipment to do this is extremely expensive and is not very forgiving when you make a mistake. The open cell foam is a better sound dampner than fiberglass or cellulose but the closed cell foam is not.
Posted: Feb 03, 2007 04:39 PM
second the motions above, hire a professional, pays in the long run!
jimmy jimmy
Posted: Feb 04, 2007 08:45 AM
Thanks
I have called two contractors both have not returned my calls. Does anybody know a contractor in southern California?

J
David Stanislawski
Posted: Feb 05, 2007 02:28 AM
Jim,
Take the advice from above. I thought about doing the same as you. What I found out was that it is CHEAPER for a contractor to spray my attic than me do it. I calculated the cost of the board feet from the kits and it was cheaper with a contractor.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 05, 2007 10:19 PM
Glen. Are you certain that the STC & NRC ratings of OC foam is superior to cellulose?

olger
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Feb 06, 2007 12:47 PM
It is. I don't have the numbers on me at this instance, but it was approximately 20% more efficient. I will look it up later and put the results on here.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 06, 2007 07:58 PM
Sealite 5000 (half-pound) or Icynene
STC rating: 36 (2x4)
NRC rating: .70 (2x4)

Empty walls = 35 STC (nothing) Loud speech audible and fairly understandable
Icynene = 37

Fiberglass = 39 STC Loud speech less audible and almost understandable

Cellulose = 44 STC Loud speech barely audible

UltraTouch = 45 Loud speech barely audible
NCFI Sealite = 36
Econo Barrier = 27

warm regards,

Olger
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Feb 12, 2007 05:21 PM
Yeah, I know, I went back and checked it and my Demilec sales rep told be wrong. That makes twice this year.

Break a leg.
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 06:53 AM
only twice???
throw his butt out the door,,,
call dave at the big D and demand an honest rep..

there are plenty of reputable vendors with sales forces that practice a modicum of morality,,,(kindofa misnomer for a salesperson,eh!!)
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 10:59 PM
No, it is only the second time this year that I was wrong. Just a little friendly humor.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 07:54 AM
:)
philip mullins
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 09:39 PM
speakin of salesmen, i called the guy who i was gonna buy my rig from (i dont wanna give any names) for two days before i got a reply. i asked him where a current job was going on that i could go check out. after taking a 60 mile journey to nawlins i called the guy and he told me the job was in lakeshore and he would call me right back with the addy and direction. so after i head to that side of town and get to the nieghborhood i called him back for an exact location. he was on the phone and couldn't take my call. an hour later he calls me back. only after i tried calling him about 15 times. guess who i aint giving 30 grand of my hard earned money to!

sorry for the hijack. just wanted to vent! back to the issue. in my research i remember seeing a system for uninsulated homes. what they did was drill 3 inch holes between the studs, then pour the two parts into the hole to create the foam. then just repair the small hole instead of removing and replacing the entire wall. you may wanna look int this system b4 getting started. if i can find a link i will post it here.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 07:50 AM
saw another DIY froth pak sealed home late last week,,,sidewalls, box, bands, &heels...
nice,,,NOT,,,
at best a layer of SWELLING, not expanding foam,, LOW PRESSURE APPLIED to the sidewalls...so they got a layer of foam and a little more r value in the total wall,,,
problem is,,when these homes fail to "perform" the foam industry will take the hit...

you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.