Q&A Forums

cpvc piping for sprinkler systems Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: May 25, 2009 05:26 PM
cpvc piping for sprinkler systems
can closed cell foam be in contact with the cpvc used by the sprinkler folks???
same question for open cell foam...
thanx mason
'dude
mason
Posted: May 26, 2009 07:23 AM
There is an ongoing investigation by SPFA on this issue. Testing has been completed and a report will be issued soon. It appears the biggest concern with cpvc pipe are at the joints and the adhesive that is used to connect the pipes. They start to break down at fairly low temperatures (120 degrees F). Sprayfoam can achieve those temperatures very easily. The research did not indicate any chemical reaction with the cpvc pipe.

Open cell foam has less exothermic heat given off during application and probably would have less effect on the joints, but I will wait for the report to be published.
Posted: May 26, 2009 07:34 AM
thanx mason,,
please keep me posted as this protocol develops,,

but just thinkin about it,,,the glue/dope fails at 120 degrees in a potable water system? uh,,momma's got my water heater set at nuclear stun and i am certain that the hot water which could also go thru this cpvc/glued joint system easily hits this temp range,,,regularly,,,not as an extreme,,

seems as i remember this started with the "vodoo sky is falling" "the chemicals in the foam will react with the pipe" drivel,,,,,remember the romex caseing paranoia back in the beginning,,,and then,,so as not to appear to have wasted a bunch of time and resourses disproving the obvious,,,we now look at the glue,,,uh they prime the pipe with a solvent more volitale then the stuff were throwin at it,,,and the glue used looks like the same stuff on the plumbing pipe we regularly bury,,oh my,,did i say that??another study me thinks..lol

kinda like foam contact on insulation buriable can lites,,,a moronic protocol made to accomodate some off the wall the sky is falling coulda maybe mighta type of drivel usually initiated with peeps with an agenda and motivation much different than the foamdudes...
more on this one as i ingest some facts about real world applications of ours and other products in this application,,,

ive battled every what if,,and in the beginnning if a what if was made,,,we end up trying to disprove the unprovable...bwaack the sky is falling,,,,

'dude
just another manic monday,,,,

ps: for all you do mason,,thanx,,,
mason
Posted: May 26, 2009 04:16 PM
Dude, I thought the same thing, how do you even use the stuff in Phoenix? By the way, some folks have suggested when they foam in the pipes and then attach other pipes to them and try to connect the joints after the foam is in place that they don't get it straight causing the joints to be incorrectly aligned and prone to failure. Good theory but don't know if that is actually happening in the field.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.