Q&A Forums

Contaminated B drums ? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
eric himmer
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 09:46 PM
Contaminated B drums ?
For the first time in 2 years we have discovered the B side filter completely encrusted with a white flaky material. Upon draining the drums, we discovered that the bottom of the drum had a good handful of this material spread all over. The substance is hard, but chalky when rubbed between your fingers and turns into a thick paste.

We wrote this off as a freak occurence, but now five drums from two different batch/lot #'s have had the same. We have to shut down and remove the filter every 1/2 set to unclog. It is Burtin Polymers water blown closed-cell foam. Our distributor has contacted Burtin / Foametix and they have no knowledge of a problem. Does anybody have any insight as to why this is present or any similar findings ?
JR Burnett
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 09:48 AM
Sounds like the drum lining is coming apart
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 03:32 PM
A quick fix would be to take off your supply line and run the material through panty hose. I do believe if I had 5 sets they would either fix the problem or I would change brands. I have heard of people using band heaters on their drums and burning off the liner on the inside of their drum, but I have never experienced it personally.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 12:03 AM
Today, Burtin Labs received the sample of the substance in the drums and evaluated it. Without running the risk of leaking trade secrets, all I can say is that the material in the drum was a component of the resin blend. Every resin formulation goes through its own set of filters as it is put into the drums. The filter for the resin in question had a small tear in it, allowing a small amount of material to pass through it.

I apologize to Green Builder for the delay in getting an answer to this question. I have been moving into a new home that I have been working on for 4 long years and in the process, misplaced the sample of the substance that was sent to me. As soon as Burtin received the sample, they called me within a few hours with the answer. They also immediately asked me to return all resin drums to be evaluated and refiltered before.

George
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 11:49 PM
What time frame did this happen? Just curious???

Tim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.